• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil de chasse a cheek slapper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKWilliam

54 cal
Reaction score
I’m starting to save up money for a custom built gun and the Fusil de chasse has caught my eye but I’ve heard it likes to slap your face hard with recoil. Is there any truth to that? Should I end up getting something else?

I’m starting to save up money for a custom built gun and the Fusil de chasse has caught my eye but I’ve heard it likes to slap your face hard with recoil. Is there any truth to that? Should I end up getting something else?
Mine doesn’t at all. It's maybe my favorite gun.

Last edited:
I've had four custom French Fusils de Chasse and three semi custom Center Mark Fusils de Chasse smoothbores, one was a left hand version, none of them "slapped" my cheek, I've also owned a Black Hart built custom New England Fowler, and an original Curly Gestremski (sic) Northwest half stock trade musket.
None of my smoothbores were ever uncomfortable to shoot, one of them, an early model Fusil de Chasse was a bit too long for me in the length of pull, other that that they have been great, today I still own and shoot two of my Center Mark Fusils de Chasse along with a handful of custom Flintlock rifles and my smoothbores are my favorite muzzle loaders.
Follow your heart and go for it.

Slapper? No …

SMACKER? They sure can be …

It really depends on YOUR build, where YOU cheek it & drop of the comb. Some don’t hurt … some - if they don’t fit YOU - yeah, can hurt something awful …
This about sums up my experience, especially the statement about where you cheek it.

I get slapped / popped in the face hard by a Fusil when I shoot anything over my favorite smoothbore loads of 60-65 gr. With my usual charge it doesnt hurt ..Funny because some folks say a Fusil has never smacked them . I now attribute it to.my prominent cheek bones that stick out , thats where the top of the comb hits me . It still hits me with my typical.load but it ain't bad . One reason in really like my English guns , I dont get that slap at all . Just a difference in design. Try to get an opportunity to shoot both or a few types before you buy. Best of luck

I've had four custom French Fusils de Chasse and three semi custom Center Mark Fusils de Chasse smoothbores, one was a left hand version, none of them "slapped" my cheek, I've also owned a Black Hart built custom New England Fowler, and an original Curly Gestremski (sic) Northwest half stock trade musket.
None of my smoothbores were ever uncomfortable to shoot, one of them, an early model Fusil de Chasse was a bit too long for me in the length of pull, other that that they have been great, today I still own and shoot two of my Center Mark Fusils de Chasse along with a handful of custom Flintlock rifles and my smoothbores are my favorite muzzle loaders.
Follow your heart and go for it.
After looking at some Fusils with their LOP being around 15 I went and compared it to my rifle and with 15 it would be too far and uncomfortable. I messaged my potential builder and asked about length of pull and I was told it could be whatever I wanted so that was a relief.

I get slapped / popped in the face hard by a Fusil when I shoot anything over my favorite smoothbore loads of 60-65 gr. With my usual charge it doesnt hurt ..Funny because some folks say a Fusil has never smacked them . I now attribute it to.my prominent cheek bones that stick out , thats where the top of the comb hits me . It still hits me with my typical.load but it ain't bad . One reason in really like my English guns , I dont get that slap at all . Just a difference in design. Try to get an opportunity to shoot both or a few types before you buy. Best of luck
Luckily mine aren’t that prominent, what you shooting with those 60ish grains? If shot what size?

I quit using the one that I had because it whacked me pretty good. I have a club butt Dutch gun and a Carolina gun that are much more comfortable to shoot.

I've always liked these, and one will be my next BP gun(because there's always a "next" gun). But, they are NOT guns you commonly see for sale. I saw exactly none at Friendship last month.

Outside of contracting a custom builder to make you one, paying $2-3k and waiting 6-8 months, what's the best way for a guy to get a Fusil? And I'm not a build it myself kind of guy.

I love mine, it is a Danny Caywood gun and shoots great. My worst ever fitting gun was a Miroku Brown Bess that gave me a cheek bruise every time I shot it, I would not give a nickel for another one.

I recently got self a fusil, my main gun is a totw english fowler. It’s a pretty stout smoothbore. The fusil was a lot lighter than the fowler and with equal loads I definitely felt the recoil more.
The stock shape will also affect felt recoil.
But it is a good looking gun amd fun to shoot

Back