• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jr campbell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a tvm fowler and was filing the sight and scratched the barrel.The gun has the aged look to it.What is the best way to cover the scratch marks and sight.I had to lower the sight to the base so I had to file the base some to get a good post back on it.

You didn't specifically say how much of a 'scratch' you have but if it's just a minor mark I'd go with #000 steel wool to smooth and either let it re-age or help it along to immediately match the rest of the finish. If it's deep you may have to file and polish then re-age. You also didn't specify if the front sight is dovetailed in, pinned or soldered on. There are so many different sights available from TOTW, Dixie and others it would be simple to replace it with something with a thinner base.

The front sight is soldered on.The scratches are not cut in the barrel just Finnish removed.I got it about 2 inch long a couple of times before I seen it when filing the base.

Shoot your fowler....swab fouled bore...then rub the fouled patch on the scratch...discard patch. Then rub your finger over the scratch working the fouling into the scratch...or you could sand the scratch back and re brown or reblue...

I will rub the fouling into it and on the sight.With me hunting with it it will not be the last scratch it will have.The sight is 2 inches low at 50 yards.I can cover the target with the post and hit dead on.I really like the target sitting on the post at 50.I thought of going up in powder to see if I can raise it up.I am shooting 80 grains of 2f now and getting 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 off hand.

I read another members post somewhere where they use an old discarded leather belt with a slot cut into it to place over a sight before filing it.

Hence, protecting the barrel from a bad swipe of the file! Makes good sense to me and will be what I will do from now on.

Sorry this is only an after the fact solution to an already made problem, but as the old saying goes.....an ounce of prevention saves a pound of troubles! :wink:

Latest posts

Back