• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filing sights even with flats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
So is filling the excess of the sights even with the flats expected? I’m guessing it’s not necessary but would look better, maybe reduce the chance a sight could get knocked loose, or indicate if the sight had moved for some reason. If you guys go file them do you file both or just the front? I’m guessing it gets done after you are positive the rifle is sighted dead on to your needs.

Once I am definitively sighted in I clip front sight base even with the diagonal flat. It is purely aesthetic. I use a milling machine, same idea though. I leave the base a couple of thousands proud of the flat to avoid marring the barrel. I do not think it matters for security if the sight is properly fitted. I never stake sights or tenons. There is no reason if they are properly fitted. Staking looks terrible to me.

To my eye, the dovetail HAS to be matched to the flats of the barrel if it is proud of the flats when installed, anything less is unfinished. If the dovetail is by chance smaller than the width of the flats it needs to be centered, anything less is unfinished. I also agree that staking can look awful, and that when fitted well isn't really needed, but a tiny roll pin through the sight base into the barrel disappears. It ensures nothing moves and is how I have installed sights on everything I have installed sights on for 30 years. Self loading unhandgunmentionables taught me that it is a better way if the firearm is to be depended upon. Stuff happens and sights get smacked on guns that get used. Knowing that if it is still there and vertical it is good is insurance I won't be without. If it isn't vertical it can usually be smacked back vertical and carry on until it is convenient to replace it, Do not use cast sights as they will break off with relatively minor impacts, if you do at least make sure they are soft.

Latest posts

Back