• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

From percussion to flint . How difficult?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makattack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hav an older CVA hawken I bought a little while back on the cheap. Somone tryed to drill out the nipple and ruined the drum. I was thinking it would be cool if I could make this rifle a flinter. What would I need to buy plus how difficult would it be? Do you guys think it's worth the trouble to do this?

Does your drum have 10-32 threads at the screw on the end? If so it's pretty easy. If the locks haven't changed. Run a 10-32 tap in the end of the drum. Cut the drum off flush with the barrel. Buy the improved touch hole liner for a Traditions flintlock from The Possibles Shop (it's the 10-32 thread). Buy the flintlock that fits the Traditions rifle from The Gun Works. Counter bore the drum to accept the touch hole liner (you can use a letter "J" drillbit). It works on Traditions rifles that have a drum and their kentucky pistols.

steve

Are you talking about a clean out screw? The drum is gone. All that is left is a 1/4" hole where the drum used to be.

Yep, clean out screw. The drum is broken off? Is the center hole for the clean out screw still there? Is the drum that is broken off below the flat of the barrel? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better picture of what you have. I thought the nipple threads were boogered, but the drum was still there.

steve

The nipple threads were boogered from what I know. The drum is gone. All there is is a threaded hole in the breach area of the barrel.

makattack,
I guess the first thing to consider..... is what you have worth spending a couple of hundred dollars to convert to flint. At this point the new lock and liner will cost more than the gun is worth.
On the other hand, you really can't buy any flinter for that kind of money.
If you are intent on doing this, it will cost you a new lock, (hopefully you can find one that is close to the inlet you have) and drilling and tapping a new touch hole liner.

Viola!!! you now have a $200 flinter.

Hope this helps.

New drums are available at Track of the Wolf. Locks that fit Traditions are available at The Gun Works for $95.00 if they havent gone up in price.

steve

Dane said:
makattack,
I guess the first thing to consider..... is what you have worth spending a couple of hundred dollars to convert to flint.

Bingo!!! Dane is either a CPA, Cost Accountant, or just plain cheap!!

I did this with a CVA Kentucky rifle. You will need to get a flint lock for the exact same gun that you have.

I got my flint lock from “Dixie Gun works” They also have vent screw's.

I could not find the vent screw for my gun, so! I made my own vent screw by buying a screw that fit the thread for my vent. I drilled a 1/16 hole through the screw then cut a line across the screw head [slot for the screwdriver] I did have to work a little wood from the stock plate to make the new flint lock to fit.

Dixie Gun works
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22

DadPicture001-6.jpg
[/img]

DadPicture003-5.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Davemuzz,

Sorry, not either one of those. Just hate to see a guy sink more money into something that will never be worth as much as the parts he puts into it.

OK, maybe I am just cheap, but I have put $6000 into a gun, that's still worth more than I paid for it. Who knew??

Thanks for the help guys. I only have $35.00 in the gun so far. By looking at prices of flintlock rifles, If I can do this for a couple hundred bucks I'm still too the good.

Macattack,

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a GOOD lock. A crappy functioning lock will turn you off the flinters in a hurry.

Back