• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Friday Afternoon Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I bought an Uberti 1851 Navy from MidwayUSA. It was my birthday and the price was good. I received it a few days later, and it looked good, BUT then I cocked it, or I should say tried to cock it. Pulling the hammer back was difficult. It went to full cock and when I pulled the trigger, it stay at full cock until I pushed it forward. Since I had to clean the oil off it anyway, I disassembled it. Thr culprit is the hand, It looks like it was "fitted" with a Dremel tool. Without it, cocking is fine. So Ive ordered a new hand and know a guy to fit it, but am rather disappointed in Uberti. Their QC seems to have gone south over the years. I have four other Ubertis and haven't had any issues with any of them.

I would have contacted Midway, sent it back on their dime, and demanded a different one or the one you received be fixed properly. I don't know if Midway has a qualified 'smith' to work on lemons, but they should have at least sent a different one. Most of the time if you dismantle a NIB firearm that is not functioning right, you've voided your warranty and any chance of returning. I was advised by the owner of Taylor's when talking with her some years back that they check every firearm they receive for workmanship and function. Ones that have a simple fix, an inhouse smith takes care of, ones that are 'really bad' are sent back to the manufacturer. I've been told Cimarron does so also by a former employee. I know, there will be posts possibly by those that have bought from Taylors or Cimarron who have received something that wasn't up to par, that happens-a few will slip by, but I doubt very much Midway and/or other big box stores even take the time to do so. I read of a buyer buying from Cabela's who was told to send it back to Pietta when he received a bummer. All of my cappers have come from Taylors and Cimarron except one form Midway, one from Cabela's, both functioned perfectly.

I would have contacted Midway, sent it back on their dime, and demanded a different one
Amen, Bro. But what Nick 1 said is disturbing. I used to do a lot of business with Midway but will be cautious in future. BTW, I believe the old man himself, Larry Potterfield, is qualified to do that repair. But, lotsa luck getting it done by him.

Of the two out of a dozen cappers I have, the two I bought from big box outfits I did so with caution. My Whitneyyville Dragoon I bought from Midway. I called and talked with a operator to order. I advised if anything wrong with it they can expect to get it back. The gal advised she would make a note of it. The Dragoon had no issues, whether and how Midway would have acted if a problem, never know, but I'd have demanded to be in contact with Larry Potterfield if needed.

The Walker I bought I did so at a Cabela's, on sale, cheaper than other outfits. Asked the gun guy at the counter if they had more than the one in the case in stock. Believe it was around nine. Asked him if I could compare them all as it was a factor to buy one. Went through all nine or so checking fit, finish, action. Eliminated 5 or 6 then had to decide on the final one. A supervisor of some sort came wandering buy and looked sort of in disagreement at all of the Walkers on the counter and wanted to know what was going on. The salesman advised him that that was the only way the prospective customer (me) was going to buy one. The supervisor nodded and wandered away. Anyway, got the pick of the litter. Always wondered if that salesman had a talking to afterwards. I've read of alot of good reports on online buying from places like Midway/Cabela's and a number of unhappy buyers like BruceB.

I have 3 Uberti, 2 I won on Gunbroker auctions, 1 I bought new from M&M Outfitters/Cimarron. Whats my point? Aint got one, other than, Midway is totally deleted from my bookmarks. Why would anyone spend close to $400 from a company that has a no return policy? Seriously? Hell, even the sites on Gunbroker that i bought used from had a return policy.
And M&M were amazing to deal with. Totally good guys.

M&M Outfitters? Are they a good outfit Captain. Never heard of them. Agree with ya ref Midway, I bought that Dragoon from Midway on a personal suicide venture hoping to get a good one. If there had been issues the phone would have been ringing hot and heavy and alot until satisfaction. I don't recall seeing anything about any 'No Return' on any percussion handguns. Maybe they didn't have it at the time or I didn't see it. Bought 4-5 years ago.

Last edited:
The reason Midway USA doesn't take black powder guns back is because black powder shooters are notorious for digging into and altering their brand new firearms.

Midway has no way to tell what was buggered up at the factory and what was buggered up by Bubba, his kitchen table and the latest and greatest YouTube video titled "How To Be A Cap N Ball Gunsmith In 10 Seconds Or Less".

I'd venture to say that some buyers have screwed up their guns to the point of not being usable then returned them to Midway.

And Midway finally caught on.

So Ive ordered a new hand and know a guy to fit it, but am rather disappointed in Uberti. Their QC seems to have gone south over the years. I have four other Ubertis and haven't had any issues with any of them.
That is too bad. I have had a few of them in different configurations and they all ran straight out of the box. Saving a few (whatever goes for pennies in Italy) by rushing QC is only going to cost them in the end.

It is disappointing to buy something new and have that occur. I guess muzzle loading/ black powder shooting in general requires a bit of "tweaking" now and then. I certainly know that Midway doesn't have an in-house guy working on guns; the are a retailer selling a packaged product, not a custom craftsman repairing hand-made guns.

Well, I bought an Uberti 1851 Navy from MidwayUSA. It was my birthday and the price was good. I received it a few days later, and it looked good, BUT then I cocked it, or I should say tried to cock it. Pulling the hammer back was difficult. It went to full cock and when I pulled the trigger, it stay at full cock until I pushed it forward. Since I had to clean the oil off it anyway, I disassembled it. Thr culprit is the hand, It looks like it was "fitted" with a Dremel tool. Without it, cocking is fine. So Ive ordered a new hand and know a guy to fit it, but am rather disappointed in Uberti. Their QC seems to have gone south over the years. I have four other Ubertis and haven't had any issues with any of them.

I just plan on working over any of them I buy, new or used. I don't have even one gun of any type I have been completely satisfied with as received. That being said in general most of them will work fine for decades as they come but there is always the exception from any manufacturer.
The trouble with sending it back (especially to a foreign manufacturer) is the hassle generally between dealer,whole sale'er and factory takes more time ,expense and energy than a local repair that can be examined does.
Hand adjustments are generally pretty simple and can be done by any competent pistol mechanic. Ratchet teeth filing is generally not required which is more technically challenging.

Last edited:
When my frizzen broke after the 8th shot, I mailed the lock back to Dixie Gun Works, and they made me a new frizzen and fit the frizzen spring so it was not doing 330lb push.

Back