• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fish stew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the recipe I have followed since the 1970's is basically, fry 5 or 6 slices of bacon until crisp in the bottom of a kettle, crumble the bacon, add 1 lb boneless fish cut into half inch squares and two tablespoons flour. Stir until the fish is mostly done on the outside and the flour starts to brown. Add two cups stock, (even water in a pinch) , and stir until it starts to thicken. Add two cups diced potatoes and four cups milk and simmer until the potatoes are done Garnish with some chopped green onion. I have even used crappy blue fish in the recipe. I understand my ex-wife still makes it but adds chopped hard boiled eggs to it.

On you tube Townsend has an eighteenth century recipe for catfish stew. I don’t care for catfish myself but it works with a light fish.
There is also a site from a guy named Boris who does Slavic cooking. His Slavic fish stew probibly reflects a long historic tradition.

Found the recipe just before leaving for work this afternoon, so only had time to snap a quick cellphone pic of it. Loaded it to Imgur, but haven't found the exit button to adjust size when using my smart phone. Hopefully it posts okay.

5S0L5kC.jpg

Never used the microwave instructions, so don't know how that would turn out, doesn't seem like a good idea. We use some cayenne pepper as well as the pepper flakes, but reduce the amount of flakes.

Native Arizonan said:
Not exactly a stew, more like a casserole:
Now that makes sense,, baking,,
Guy's, I'm in the land of 10,000 lakes,, there are fish,, boiling fish is icky,,(aka:stew) it does funny stuff to the fats and ruins the meat.
Shell fish maybe,, but a good fillet?
Grill it, Fry it, Broil it, Pickle it, Can it.
No Boiling fish, :barf:

Never made/had "poor man's shrimp" made with bluegill/calico bass/crappie? Brings a whole new light to boiled/steamed fish. Granted there are types of fish I wouldn't use for a chowder or for something boiled, but really firm fleshed cold water white fish poaches/boils nicely.

Going to make me a salmon stew Thursday using this recipe. I love me a good salmon stew.

Being in the land of 10,000 lakes, too, I can report that my father used to do wonderful things with fish over charcoal and his own BBQ sauce and onions that was exceptionally good.

I have made fish stews over the years using milk based recipes and have been pleased with the result. I can also add this small tip for those using milk based recipes, one of the most surprising things about fish stew that I learned some years ago is the use of nutmeg in milk based fish stew recipes. Nutmeg is your friend! Add to the stew or as a garnish it really enhances the flavor of the stew!

Brokennock said:
Never made/had "poor man's shrimp" made with bluegill/calico bass/crappie? Brings a whole new light to boiled/steamed fish. Granted there are types of fish I wouldn't use for a chowder or for something boiled, but really firm fleshed cold water white fish poaches/boils nicely.
I've had fake shrimp made by boiling bluegill. Eaten dipped in cocktail sauce it will fool you. Kind of a waste of good bluegill, though. :grin:

A delicious boiled fish is the one made at 'fish boils' in the great lakes area. Trout, salmon or great lakes whitefish are used, and the fish is firm, tender and very tasty.

Spence

Have you ever ate carp? I have not, ive heard that it should be planked and then throw away the fish and eat the plank, but Asians eat a lot of carp. Romans raised carp also and it was acceptable for senators to raise carp during the republic.

I could give you tips on making great fish chowdah, but not until I loose the annual cook off up here. Won it two years running, looking for my third.
I'll give you a hint. If you are working milk , cream or half and half into it, learn how to make and work with a roux. :grin:

tenngun said:
Have you ever ate carp? I have not, ive heard that it should be planked and then throw away the fish and eat the plank, but Asians eat a lot of carp. Romans raised carp also and it was acceptable for senators to raise carp during the republic.
I have eaten a lot of it, as a youngster in Michigan. We lived near a large private lake and the owner caught and smoked carp routinely. It was some of the best fish I've ever eaten, wish I had some.

Spence

Not for many years, because I am not a lover of fish...But smoked carp was very popular when I was younger....
Years ago a lady down the street from me loved carp...The bigger the better...A friend and I would go fishing and I we ever caught a big carp we took it to her....She was happier than a lark.
Don't remember how she cooked it though but she wanted them big.

My in-laws would pressure can carp. The pressure canning helped with the many small bones in some carp. They would use it like canned salmon. The flavor was fine, but lots of small bones.

Latest posts

Back