• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Range Report - .62cal Early Virginia Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
"Oh Mama" is all I can say...debuted the new .62cal Virginia smoothbore today and it's fantastic.

Fit perfectly, Chambers deluxe siler was flawless, Davis double triggers were flawless, and the Caywood 'Full' Jug Choke in the Rice barrel proved to be excellent. Took forever, but I finally got the sights filed down to center the shot load at 30 yards.

Good groups for small Turkey head shots came with a couple of 1/8" Oxyoke wads instead of the 1/2" Circle Fly cushion wad. But for a more open general purpose pattern, turns out a 1/2" Circle Fly cushion wad opens up the pattern like a modified choke but without creating a doughnut hole which is great news.
And as with my previous Jug Choked GM barrel, Goex 3F gave the best patterns compared to 2F.

NOTE:
Just before stopping the pattern testing with different variations of wads, OS cards, powder, etc, I had a wild thought and tried something way out of the ordinary...and only tried one shot as I was about burned out...but I seated a large .60"-.70" x .018" pillow ticking patch down on the powder, then one Oxyoke wad, then one OS card, then the shot charge, then the top OS card.
Incredibly dense pattern...will dedicate the next range trip to better understanding that.
May turn out to have been a fluke...or might be something to do with the interaction of the large patch when it hits the expansion chamber of the Jug Choke, dunno...and one shot of course means nothing...but whatever happened it's worth testing further to see if its repeatable.

PRBs out of Caywood’s Jug Choke
It was 99 degrees with 90% humidity so I was ready to cave after 3 hours, exhausted in spite of having poured down two liters of water...but wanted to at least run a few PRBs through the Caywood Jug Choke just to see if it was even going to be usable.
Since the muzzle mic'ed .615" I tried .018" pillow ticking / .600" cast balls with 100grns Goex 2F. Sitting down in a chair, 3" aim point sticker at 50 yards, the first two holes cut each other at 11 o'clock on the edge of the sticker, with the 3rd hole about an inch over at 1 o'clock on the top edge of the sticker, so I quit and headed home to get out of the heat.

There’ll be more range trips but it's clear this Early Virginia is going to be outstanding, and would be my choice for the "if I could only have one Flintlock what would it be" question.

1FullRightbuttangle.jpg

Roundball....99 degrees in that humidity? :youcrazy: Its a sickness alright! :shocked2: Sounds like a winner! :grin: ..A great looking gun that can shoot!
While patterning for a 62 cal turkey choke the lubed patch for a shot cup works surprisingly well! I would use this method for shooting multiples...The secret is to keep the fowling soft from shot to shot. would think the leading would be reduced using a lube patch wad cup also.
Looking forward to your results.. have a gm 62 smoothe jug choked full and have not ran any lubed patch shot wads through it yet. Keep us posted... enjoy the A/C....Dan

Yes, in that heat! There was probably only one hole, but he was seeing double, from either heat exhaustion or sweat in the eyes. :wink:

roundball said:
NOTE:
Just before stopping the pattern testing with different variations of wads, OS cards, powder, etc, I had a wild thought and tried something way out of the ordinary...and only tried one shot as I was about burned out...but I seated a large .60"-.70" x .018" pillow ticking patch down on the powder, then one Oxyoke wad, then one OS card, then the shot charge, then the top OS card.
Incredibly dense pattern...will dedicate the next range trip to better understanding that.
May turn out to have been a fluke...or might be something to do with the interaction of the large patch when it hits the expansion chamber of the Jug Choke, dunno...and one shot of course means nothing...but whatever happened it's worth testing further to see if its repeatable.

Hmmmm. Nothing to base it on other than supposition, but I wonder if there isn't a bit of "gas blow-by" happening as the column passes through the jug choke, and the patch helped reduce it. That's such a small patch comparatively speaking, that I'm probably blowing smoke, but I've seen too many patterns "blown" by gas leakage around cushion wads over the years.

Dunno how you can stand that kinda humidity, RB. :surrender: It was 102 here today but only around 20%.

The patch idea is something I will try to get my unchoked 10ga to tighten up it's pattern. Not much else has worked. GW

It was hot & humid for sure...I decided to go anyway because I shoot from under a simple pole shelter so I'd be out of the direct sun except for changing pattern papers after each shot...took a window fan plus a couple quarts of water...but after 3 hours I actually experienced a couple of moments of being a little light headed and knew I had to stop and get back into the A/C.
( But it WAS a new Flintlock you know :wink: )

"Tinkering" with stuff like this is part of what I like about this hobby...trying to figure out and understand why certain changes create certain results. I had the thought last night that knowing a patch flares and peels back quickly after muzzle exit...the next thing I want to try is changing the configuration a bit by seating the wad first, THEN the patch in FRONT of the wad, then the OS card...to see if the flaring/peeling back effect will also retard the wad behind it...might help in those cases where a wad is suspected of driving into the back of the shot column, dunno...but its more reasons to go to the range :grin:

Is that the prettiest stock I`ve ever seen? Damn, it`s nice! If it were mine, I`d be like Ralphie & fall asleep with it & a big smile on my face. Who made it?

walta44 said:
Is that the prettiest stock I`ve ever seen? Damn, it`s nice! If it were mine, I`d be like Ralphie & fall asleep with it & a big smile on my face. Who made it?

Matt Avance at TVM...did a great job

Back