• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First mortise job, done.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 54092

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Lock is finally in the right place, I think, looks like manure but I can claim inexsperiance, and so I will. Now to place the set trigger and looking for advice for same, 3 books and I'm still scratching my head.

It's about mortising the trigger group in the correct spot so that the sear is in the exact position within the "V" formed by the trigger levers. That I understand, but what's the best way to find the exact spot to begin mortising out the area that will ensure the sear and trigger levers are in the right alignment. I'm working with a blank slate, as it were, and using eyeballing in the procedure isn't a good method, IMHO. , I think I need measurements, and of course with those measurements I need points from which to measure. UNLESS someone has a superior method that insures a good and true sear engagement.

Actually I just noticed this thread is totally misplaced and should be in the gun building section of the forum. Maybe a moderator can move it.

I don't think that there is an exact spot. The rear trigger arm needs to contact the sear when when the trigger is tripped. It also can't exert pressure on the sear when the triggers are at rest. This can keep the sear from engaging the hammer notches. There is often some wiggle room and some times the trigger bar can be ground down some to provide the needed clearance. If you are an inexperienced builder I'd really suggest using a simple single trigger. They can give a perfectly usable trigger pull. The trigger blade should contact the sear at a point between 1/4" and 3/8" from the trigger pivot in its housing. I've gone to nothing but single triggers in all my builds, the exception being the Kibler SMR.

Well alright, found the mortising section within the tominess of the tome that is the book of how to build a flintlock. Glenville or some such. Hidden there in the section on how to make the triggers. Table of contents lists the chapters on how to mortise everything else but squirreled away the how to mortise the trigger group within How to make a trigger.
I have considered buying a single trigger to replace the double set triggers that came with this kit just for simplicity sake. But having jumped right into the deep end I'd hate to have the kit's trigger collect dust. Still under consideration.
I thank you for your attention to this thread.

Trgt,

This is a simple method you might use to get the measurements you need. The nail represents the sear. You can measure from it to the front or rear of your trigger plate and then transfer that to your stock.

IMG_6435.JPG

Keep in mind, that just getting the trigger bar to the sear is only part of the equation. For optimum trigger pull with your front trigger (without setting the rear) you need to locate the pivot more towards the sear, in my opinion no more than 1/4" away. This will produce a nicer lighter single trigger pull. Placing it out on the tip of the trigger bar will make it the heaviest it can be.

Back