• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First ever hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
Had my first ever flintlock hunt this morning. Light drizzle when I got to my hunting spot then slowly rained harder and harder. Had a doe step out of the fog 30 yards away just at legal shooting time. Due to the early hour, rain, fog and cloud cover I could not see the front sight. I screwed around for a few seconds trying to get the sights lined up and just a split second before the rifle went off, which was good since it was raining so hard, she whirled to run and I shot right in front of her brisket. A few more hours to get myself good and soaked and I called it a day. By the time I got home and got to cleaning there was already rust on my rifle. I cleaned, polished and oiled as well as I could and I will not be going out in heavy rain again. I have until next Saturday so hopefully I’ll get another chance. Sure is different shooting in the dark woods versus s sunny range.

Sounds like a memorable experience. Don't let rain deter you. Get a good cow's knee, read the many topic threads here about making flintlocks shoot in the rain. Wax is you friend for keeping that rust at bay next time the gun is in the rain. If it isn't too warm for it, a matchcoat over you amd the gun is even better.
If you only have a week, damn the weather, get out there. A small doe taken in the rain under poor conditions that would keep others home will be a trophy memory for a lifetime.

Don't let the rust frighten you. Just use hot water to clean and wire wool the rust, its only on the surface. Then rub some beeswax and olive oil mix all over the gun or rifle.
Slap it on prior to hunting in the wet also.

Please don't use modern gun oils, they are useless when used with black powder firearms.

Went out again today. Forecast was for 0% chance of rain, so I got rained on for six hours!!!
I rubbed my rifle down with a beeswax olive oil mixture and it seemed to work real well for waterproofing. It’s doe season only right now so of course the only doe I saw was right at sunrise, which the sun never showed due to the clouds and rain, didn’t even raise the rifle it was so dark. And of course I had a big 8 point walk by me at 10 yards and never even look in my direction. Oh well, hopefully he’ll be around for my grandson to use the the crossbow on. More news to follow later in the week,

Well the early season ended with no deer killed. Weather jerks called for rain so I took the grandson and he was allowed to use his .243 and of course, not a drop of rain. We saw no deer, which was good because on the hike in he dropped his rifle!!!! Looks like I’ll be heading to the range to make sure all is right with the scope. We will get after them again in the late season that starts day after Christmas. Good luck to everyone in your upcoming seasons.

Latest posts

Back