• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billthefifth

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
billthefifth said:
Right now I have my eye on a kit from Sitting Fox, but have no idea what to expect quality-wise. Who's barrels do they use? Locks?
Scott: FWIW when I bought mine the barrel was a DOM (drawn over mandrel) barrel turned to the profile of the arm/design I purchased. The lock was by L&R.

Ray, however, will deal w/ you and you can upgrade any part of the kit for the price difference. In regards to parts, myself and others found them to be equal to those from sourced of other part sellers like TOW.

I had ZERO issues with the quality aspect of anything I ever got from Ray. Not sure I'd have them make me an in-the-white model or finished arm, from what I've read here, as apparently he farms out that work and some are better (or worse) than others. But I'd have no reservations recommending them as a "good value for the price paid".

Scott: FWIW when I bought mine the barrel was a DOM (drawn over mandrel) barrel turned to the profile of the arm/design I purchased. The lock was by L&R.

DOM barrels of homemade profile... :td: :barf:

And yes I do have one, I do use it but I'll never trust it. I would feel guilty and have too much honor to pass it on to some ignorant sap in the same shoes I was in when I got my "Good Deal". I'm stuck with it like some kind of disease, but it was a good deal though. I saved 200 bucks.

I would at least buy the barrel from Track of the Wolf, that way you get a tapered Oct. to round barrel. In the picture of the kit the Octagon part does not look like its tapered like it should. To me the octagon part looks straight THEN it abruptly transitions to the round part with a wedding band at the transition. When looking at the Track of the Wolf barrels the octagon part is tapering into the round part with the wedding band separating them like it should. :2 Plus it will not be a DOM barrel :barf:

I am not sure what kind of barrel they use for this gun. One thing I noticed was that the lock has not been inlet. That is something left up to you to do. Do you know how to inlet a lock? There is a proper way to do it and only one way to do it properly. There is other inletting to do and you have to know how to do it. The sanding and finishing of the stock is not particularly difficult and the finishing the barrel is not all that hard either. If you are patient and willing to read and learn or have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to do it, you will do okay. But, I would not pick this particular gun as my first project.

You might want to consider this gun: http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles03.htm

Or this gun: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/fowler.htm

Thank you for your suggestions! And for warning me about DOM barrels.

Besides wanting a musket, I'm wanting to learn a little wood working along the way, so I'm already planning on doing some reading.

Billnpatti, would you suggest anything from TOTW? They have several Fusil kits and other smoothbores I'm interested in, and it appears they have already inlet the lock mortise on most of their kits.

Scott

I suggest ya call Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. (615) 654-4445 Tip most likely will have all the parts in stock & it will be a quality parts set. And it will have a good quality barrel. He doesn't a use Internet web site, but if you have a rifle or fowler in a TOW catalog, he can match it most of the time.
Several good things about buying from Tip is he Immediately knows what he has on hand. He is a Builder & a vender, so he knows what will work & what won't. He is very knowledgeable on building & will help you in about any way he can.

Note: There are correct procedures for building a Precarve stock, thus to keep your tit out of the wringer so to speak, it is important to go by those steps. Far as I know, these particular steps are not... listed in a book, tho I feel they should be. The foremost important one being the first step.... Inlet Lock 75-85% of the way BEFORE inletting the barrel, etc. We can get into all of that later. :idunno:

Also on the fowler, care must be taken on the trigger inlet, Triggerguard placement, & the placement of the tail on the triggerguard, to be correct with the cast off, etc. Seen allot of newbies mess that up, just cause they assumed instead of asked. Don't assume Anything...... :shake: ASK...... Wait for several replies from guys that have Built Allot of rifles.....

Don't be in a hurry... Buy the Gunsmiths of Greneville County builders book or another quality builders book & Read It Well, before ya start.

Keith Lisle

PS: If you are shopping price, you usually get what ya pay for. Shop Quality First, & most of the time you will not go wrong.

I would try These guys, because they are Hands On Guys:
Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Tip Curtis Frontier Shop
Pecatonica
Dunlaps Woodcrafts

TOW sells good stuff. If you buy something from them, you can be assured that it will be good. If you have something of interest in mind from TOW and want additional info, just call them and they will answer your questions. I have always found them to be good folks to deal with.

I fully agree with birddog6 about buying a copy of The Gunsmith Of Grenvill County. It is a bit pricy but it contains all of the extremely valuable information that you will need in building your first kit rifle or even starting with a stock blank and making your own stock from scratch.

Some of the most important things you will need will be research, patience, more research and more patience. You can't have too much of either. If you get in a rush, you can easily turn $600 to over $1,00 worth of parts into a rifle worth maybe $200 or less. Learn how to do each step, completely understand what to do and how to do it and then take your time to do it exactly right. If you are not sure of how to do something, don't be afraid to ask someone or post your question on the forum :thumbsup:

I would at least buy the barrel from Track of the Wolf, that way you get a tapered Oct. to round barrel.

Really? I called and had them give me some measurements and the oct was straight and the muzzle club like. Ended up dealing with Laffindog cause he was the only "ship it now" option that was profiled properly.

Oregon Barrel Works will turn you out a barrel to your exact specs with only a couple week turn around.

Hmmm, their description says tapered octagon for 12" or whatever, then go to round with a band between them. Their fowler barrels shows the diagrams and they all taper down. I'll give them a call myself tomorrow and check.

Try Pecatonica River's early fullstock fowler. Top notch people to work with.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/fullstock.shtml

Go with the Chambers english round faced lock. You won't regret it. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/jimchamberslocks.shtml

Here's mine.

2012-07-12_17-01-36_209.jpg

2012-07-12_17-01-45_538.jpg

:hatsoff:

SAGA advice indeed!
Don't be in a hurry... Buy the Gunsmiths of Greneville County builders book or another quality builders book & Read It Well, before ya start.

PS: If you are shopping price, you usually get what ya pay for. Shop Quality First, & most of the time you will not go wrong.

I would try These guys, because they are Hands On Guys:
Jim Chambers Flintlocks/barbies barrels
Tip Curtis Frontier Shop
Pecatonica
Dunlaps Woodcrafts

What Keith said x 2! I have delt with these people, let me add three more I will deal with:
Knob mountin Dave Keck
Tenn valley manufacturing
Track of the wolf

These seven people will maintain my $ coming to them, although I have worked with many others, these 7 do it right. If these 6 don't have what I need, then I will make it. I know there are others out there, but their products and wood working make me think it came from China..... :td:

Being in Tip Curtis shop......I would say he has THE most different parts I know of......if we were transported back to 1770.....he could outfit the continental army!

My .02

Their fowler barrels shows the diagrams and they all taper down

Despite alot of local hero worship TOW is not infalliable. Not that any of us are but they expect you to pay for thier mistakes. Nice web site marginal parts and service.

Well...I have also had bumps in the road with these suppliers, but it was worked out. Just saying these, and maybe a couple of others I know not of :hmm: are the leading people in my world........

But the what do I know.....my workshop help is a stinking ol tom kat and I think Paris Hilton is hot :youcrazy: :rotf:

Back