• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build...Southern Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I to want to speed the barrel inlet process up, but keep the tight fit~so far, Ol Dave Keck works his magic up in the hill of Penn~~~
:bow:
I'm thinking of a nice router with guides...but so far, not satisfied~

I got the barrel channel inletted and barrel is bedded...not the GREATEST job.. but it's not bad either, for my first one that is. My Photobucket account is acting up or I would show pics.
I used chisels, a couple of different sized gouges and a piece of 13/16 barrel that had file grooves dug into it and had handles screwed into it as well. Anyhow...now to figure out my Photo bucket account..and to pursue the next step, ramrod shelf and hole and cutting off excess wood with a bandsaw.

Not sure if you have enough wood material to change at this stage.

However, yhou could just get rid of that metal ramrod channel spacer and go a bit deeper down on the inlet.

I am new to stock building myself, but it seems you might have just enough material to make a ramrod channel left on the gun.

The picture do not show how much work was done on the wrist and butt section.

Also, if it was me and I was spending this much time on the gun, buy a good lock if the gun is flint. If the trigger is nice and reliable in a percussion, then stick with it.

If your going through all this work, might as well have a really good lock for it.

You did not specify the barrel or caliber.

However, from what little I have seen of traditional guns; a typical modern made muzzleloader has a relatively short and big octagonal sized barrel.

A marshall or jaeger inspired build would fit that barrel a bit nicer. Although most of them were swamped.

Also, get a traditional sight on the gun. The adjustable one usually looks out of place. On top of that, they can drift easily. My lyman GPR did.

Most CVA, Lymans, and T/C are usually hawkens inspired pieces. A wooden fullstock hawken is a really nice gun.

Back