• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished T/C New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEW222

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. So, I have just finished working on my T/C New Englander .54 calibre rifle. This was the one I received that was ridden very hard, and put away even wetter! I did as everyone here was suggesting and what I have read. The barrel is looking much better than when I had last posted, as I had taken some coarse steel wool and wrapped my brass brush with it so it was very snug. As it got looser, I just added more to the brush. I figure in the neighborhood of 250 - 300 passes in the barrel with it. I then blew it out and cleaned it. The only real pitting / rust formation left is right at the muzzle for approximately an inch. As for the stock, I had a friendly member here that is local offer to help me to fix it up near the lock. I had originally talked to him about it then had some thoughts. The gun had history as it was given to me, so I had ultimately decided to leave the history in the gun. I know it doesn't look the greatest, but I just wanted it to share its story. I had used my Dremel rotary tool to remove the bulk of the surface rust and reblued it as necessary. And the stock was sanded, a couple coats of oil let to dry, followed by 3 coats of polyurethane clear, sanded and finalized with 2 more coats of oil all hand rubbed. Anyways, thank you all for helping me along the way with this gun project as it was quite fun. So here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.

Dang PhotoBucket again! It had originally flipped my pictures upside down, I then rotated them so they were correct, and now they decided to flip two of them again!

Also I was just wondering. In the pictures, the hammer is at safety/half cock. I tried re-orienting it, but this is the only way it fits properly. Is it just me, or is it alright. It rests just above the #11 primer.

A lot of the factory percussion guns hammers are just a little bit above the nipple when they are at half cock.

Most folks like to see a nice gap between the face of the hammer and the cap but the factories don't seem to agree with them.

There is little or nothing you can do to change this unless you want to install an after market lock made by places like L&R.

No problems. I will live with it. I don't want to change anything. It is just a paper shooter. Or at least that is what I am saying now....

New222 said:
Dang PhotoBucket again! It had originally flipped my pictures upside down, I then rotated them so they were correct, and now they decided to flip two of them again!

Also I was just wondering. In the pictures, the hammer is at safety/half cock. I tried re-orienting it, but this is the only way it fits properly. Is it just me, or is it alright. It rests just above the #11 primer.

My T/C Hawken has a hammer that sits very close to the cap at half cock. It's actually kind of nice because it prevents anything from brushing the cap loose. I always assumed that was the reason that they designed it to sit so close.

Thanks for both the compliments and the info regarding others having the same 'hammer feature'. It at least puts me a bit more at ease knowing it is not just me or my rifle.

As a first sidelock percussion rifle, I had not thought of it as such to possibly keep the cap on and attached. Just finally seeing it now.

Good job. The New Englander is a wonderful deer rifle.

HPIM1005.jpg

Back