• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finished powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finished my powder horn and would like to know how to seal it up and to shine it up. Would like any help I can get. Thanks Eldo

If you don't have the Selby book from Track of the Wolf, you need to buy it NOW. It answers your questions and many you haven't thought to ask!

To protect scrimshaw work, many makers will give the finished horn a coat or two of a spray acrylic varnish, or " clear coat".

Eldo said:
I finished my powder horn and would like to know how to seal it up and to shine it up. Would like any help I can get. Thanks Eldo

I've always sealed mine with beeswax. It seems pretty bomb proof, even here in a wet climate.

I always just hit the outside of my horns with Johnstons paste wax. It's probably more durable than I give it credit for, but I rewax it quickly after every long day outdoors.

Sorry, I don't agree with any spray varnish quick fix solution, but I too like Johnson's Paste Wax or bee's wax. I've used both for many years on my horns!

Rick

Thanks for the good information, I will put some paist wax on it and polish it up. Thanks again, Eldo

Back