• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fiber wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokepole tc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i have non lubed fiber wads would like to know what lube to use and how to lube them. using them in my 11 bore w/ shot for turkeys.

Type of lube not critical. I use soapy water and let dry until just damp and keep in a plastic bag. For ronny and a more 'correct' appearance I'll wipe with whatever strikes my fancy that is sorta past like. Keep this part a secret....but I even once used Bore Butter :redface: .
Don't fret which side to use.

oneshot 52 said:
...what lube to use and how to lube them....

For "day" use, as in lubing enough just for a day of snowshoe hare or ptarmigan with lots of shooting, I just put 25 or 30 in a ziploc, pour in a little olive oil, slosh it around, and let it sit overnight. Penetration into the wads seems about ideal.

For long sits with a loaded bore as in duck hunting, or for making up a batch with plans to store them, I just melt some of TOW's mink oil tallow, then do the same. If I'm running low on the mink oil and don't want to lose a bunch to the inside of the ziploc, I use a blend of 3 parts deer tallow to 1 part olive oil. Nuke it to melt it, pour over the wads and slosh it around until it starts to thicken. Nuke it another 30 seconds and slosh again, then lay out to dry.

If I was sitting around a campfire rather than the kitchen nuker, I'd just warm the stiff lube by the fire and do the same thing.

I do pretty much the same, using my mixture of lard and beeswax with an occasional batch with some olive oil. My fiber wads are from Circle Fly. I give them a quick dunk or roll in the melted lube, don't let them soak. I want only the exterior of the wads lubed, don't want it to saturate them, because over time they get mushy and messy.

Spence

I have a couple I use. An old mix is equal parts beeswax and mutton tallow. Heat & stir in a double-boiler until it's all melted and then put the wad on a pin and roll the edge in the mix.

The other method is just to wipe a grease lube on the edge.

Either works.

Dipping or soaking the whole wad adds weight and slows the load down. Which may help with pattern, but so does using a little less powder.

Back