• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need .70 and .54 cal wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need .70 looks like 14ga from TOW
.54 for 28ga

There are three kinds of wads
"A" card over powder
"B" Card over shot
"C" 1/2 inch thick fiber that must be lubed

I am guessing "C"

Last edited:
Think a slightly smaller ball diameter will help - using 0.018 patch was very difficult to load with .530 ball. We put a patched ball just past the crown and pulled it out and looks like a very small spot on one edge was a little thinner - I think trying a smaller diameter ball should be the first thing to try.

I am having some blow by. Hopefully wads will help. Had a major problem on the .54 cal with a .530 ball, blow-by, heavy fouling and hole in the patch.

Wad helped blow by, thinner patch and accuracy.

I am very new with ML, but trying/experimenting.
I make and use Dura Felt wads (dry) then patched ball 3/4 inch hole punch from Harbor freight . You were right to choose #3 over the powder . It is like insurance or a parachute useless till it's needed, folks that say otherwise only fool the folks that don't know better . Think you just heard from some!!! If your patch is lubed /old throw it out /massed produced throw them out (OR) just maybe you threw out a bit more charge (velocity ) than your patch could stand or bore condition sucked (guess what) a felt wad eliminates all of that
(especially when it counts) target or killin stuff felt matters !!!!/Ed

Yeah what he said we’ll get you on the right path .👍
Key word (proper) is not a given , with a felt or not is easy to prove it's traditionalists who like to differ with fact . Any condition causing patch failure is with in your grasp to fix if you (use a felt wad) and see for yourself !/Ed

I make and use Dura Felt wads (dry) then patched ball 3/4 inch hole punch from Harbor freight . You were right to choose #3 over the powder . It is like insurance or a parachute useless till it's needed, folks that say otherwise only fool the folks that don't know better . Think you just heard from some!!! If your patch is lubed /old throw it out /massed produced throw them out (OR) just maybe you threw out a bit more charge (velocity ) than your patch could stand or bore condition sucked (guess what) a felt wad eliminates all of that
(especially when it counts) target or killin stuff felt matters !!!!/Ed
Thanks, It feels like using wads.

Marplot: Are you using a shotgun, smoothbore long gun or a rifle ?? I have felt wads I made for both of those calibers. I pretty much stopped using the vegetable fiber wads as the felt wads were much easier loading. I can send you some felt wads of both calibers if you want to give them a try.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Marplot: Are you using a shotgun, smoothbore long gun or a rifle ?? I have felt wads I made for both of those calibers. I pretty much stopped using the vegetable fiber wads as the felt wads were much easier loading. I can send you some felt wads of both calibers if you want to give them a try.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I am looking at an original rifles. Swiss Jaeger .70 cal; Danish Jaeger .70 cal and German Jaeger .54 cal

Sending my name and address. pm

Back