• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt Wads - Lubed vs. Unlubed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been shooting big 465 grain conicals over unlubed felt wads in my Renegade's .45 caliber 1:30 twist Green Mountain barrel with good results.

What are the opinions of lubed vs. unlubed wads?

Bottom line is you've proved it works for you, which is all that matters. Plus your gun hasn't self-destructed, so it can't be all bad :thumbsup: .

Have just ordered a 9/16 leather punch and a sheet of felt for wads. Was wondering the same thing, lube or un-lubed wads? If you leave them un-lubed seems that they might not seal as well? If you lube em would the lube contaminate your powder if U left yur gun loaded long enough. Seems to me that lubing would be the way to go, as you would probably get a better gas seal. If you are worried about powder contamination stick some wasp nest under your wad.

Those are some heavy "mammer-jammers" but your accuracy with them @ 50 yds proves they do well in your rifle -- if it were me I just keep doing what you are doing :wink: .

What you are doing seems to work quite well for your gun. If it were me, I wouldn't change a thing. :thumbsup:

That is some good shooting. Those heavies gotta pack a wallop on both ends.

I am just curious about the big velocity difference you are seeing there. It doesnt have a huge affect on your groups at 50, just wondering if you have shot them at 100? Are you swabbing between shots? I like tinkering with that kind of stuff, so just got the wheels turning. Dont think that I am sharp shooting what you are doing, just a curious nature here.

I think he should keep doin' what he's doin' too, lol!

And as for the chrono work: Looks to me as if the first shot is by itself, and then the bore was fouled & produced both superior accuracy & additional speed because of the "extra drag" gettin' thru the fouling? Like I said, three holes touching at 50 yards is "good enough", lol!

Dave

I shoot an unlubed felt wad over the 70gr of 2F powder in my .54 followed by a .530 ball an .18 ticking patch. I get better groups with the wad and a louder "crack" when the rifle goes off.

I tried this load as an experiment and stuck with it, works for me.

Been using wads punched out of the spongy stuff that pressed paper egg cartons are made from. They soak up melted lube and form a good dam against gas cutting.

I have shot them at 100 yards hawk driver, but with a scope on the gun. Got a 1-5/8" five shot group. I swab with both sides of a patch wet with 91% Isopropyl alcohol between shots. Recoil with the 85 grain load is stout, but not really uncomfortable. I shot one five-shot string with 95 grains GOEX FFFg, and one string of that was quite enough.

Back