• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Faux Baker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieorr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always admired the Baker for canoe camping, but never owned one. I don't canoe as much now, but still like the design and I'm wondering if it's possible to use a fake Baker at a rendezvous. I've seen comments about starting with a half wedge and lashing on extra pieces, in order to have the benefit of the Baker but still be pc/hc. Can someone tell me if this is acceptable and if so, how to go about it while still colouring inside the lines?

I'll be doing my own cutting and sewing, so picking a supplier is not an issue - I hope machine stitches are allowed?

Thanks,

Jamie

NOPE we can't....,

We can tell you where we have been, if it was accepted or not, but we don't know to what event you are going, and the event organizer(s) will make that call.

So far I've been to three events that were 'vouz type that allowed a shelter constructed like a Baker without sewn in walls, and I've been to them same events, many many times, and such a shelter has not been banned, while the actual Baker tent is.

So what I suggest is you fashion your shelter, shoot a photo, and when you apply to attend, send them the photo and ask. (Some event even require folks coming for their first time to submit a shelter photo to avoid hassles upon arrival). DON'T just show up and hope you can use your set up.

LD

colorado clyde said:
What's a "fake baker".....Is that someone who uses a microwave oven?
:photoSmile:
Could be I guess, but I was thinking about a Baker tent - you were supposed to pick that out of my brain. Sorry, no pic and I have trouble cutting and pasting on this tablet, try Tentsmith's.

Jamie

Loyalist Dave said:
NOPE we can't....,

We can tell you where we have been, if it was accepted or not, but we don't know to what event you are going, and the event organizer(s) will make that call.

So far I've been to three events that were 'vouz type that allowed a shelter constructed like a Baker without sewn in walls, and I've been to them same events, many many times, and such a shelter has not been banned, while the actual Baker tent is.

So what I suggest is you fashion your shelter, shoot a photo, and when you apply to attend, send them the photo and ask. (Some event even require folks coming for their first time to submit a shelter photo to avoid hassles upon arrival). DON'T just show up and hope you can use your set up.

LD
Thanks LD, that's encouraging, and checking first makes sense. I'll give this some more thought, but my camps usually wind up looking Bakerish by the time I get the fire and tarp the way I like them so I'll probably put it on the list.

Jamie

The nice thing about sending the photo and getting a positive response..., you take that response with you and if one of the dog-soldiers didn't get clarification, and says something negative about your tent, you can show him you asked and were approved.

LD

So, basically what you want to do is have a lean-to with tie-on sides and a small fly that you might use to close off the open front?

Go for it.

If the event organizers complain that it looks too much like a Baker you can take off the sides and leave the fly up. Nobody is going to throw a guy out for using a lean-to and a fly.

Loyalist Dave said:
The nice thing about sending the photo and getting a positive response..., you take that response with you and if one of the dog-soldiers didn't get clarification, and says something negative about your tent, you can show him you asked and were approved.

LD

Wise advice. Getting to an event & being told that ones tent won't fly would be major downer. (And saying that some guy on an internet forum said that it would be ok doesn't work unless that guy happens to be one of the event organizers.)

I've been to dozens of Rendezvous (Not 'voos, Youwho's or Ronndies) over 40 plus years and have seen all types of tents and shelters being used, but have never seen anyone ejected from a camp who had a good reasonable attempt of having a primitive shelter. Some modern tents show up and they are asked to set-up in a special location set aside for modern camping. Wouldn't want to attend such an event with negative attitude organizers like that!

Rick

One persons "reasonable attempt" can be another persons "unacceptable farby". As always it is not your call nor mine but the event organizers who get to set the rules for their event. One problem is that people lump rendezvous, market fairs, historical reenactments, primitive camping, experimental archeology, olde time days, etc together or refer to one when they may be thinking (or even unaware) of the other approaches and the standards (or lack thereof) that might apply. If someone is familiar with both a specific event and with another persons gear & set up & says looks good to go, fine - but to just show up & expect to be accommodated is not a risk that I would recommend to any newcomer.

I have no problem with rules, there occasions I expect others to conform to what I or my club see as reasonable dress. Just that this pastime is new to me. I don't want to cheat my way in, but if I can have the benefits of the Baker in an acceptable way, that would be great.

Might just start with the lean to and keep lashing bits on, it'll keep the cost manageable!

Jamie

There may be some jurried events that wont let you in, however they are mostly invited too events.
Most events accept bakers with out a blink of an eye. An ad hoc backer might even get you in to a juried event, Capt cook was panted with this design in the 1770s.
A double door wedge can be opened on one side giving you room and a covered front, then closed down at night for privacy and will be acceptable from 1607 to WW2. With that camp you have most of the advanages of a baker and you don't have to explain your self in any way.

jamieorr said:
I have no problem with rules, there occasions I expect others to conform to what I or my club see as reasonable dress. Just that this pastime is new to me. I don't want to cheat my way in, but if I can have the benefits of the Baker in an acceptable way, that would be great.

Might just start with the lean to and keep lashing bits on, it'll keep the cost manageable!

Jamie
Jamie,
If you choose to purchase a tent, you can't go wrong with a wedge. A bell-back wedge is even better due to the extra space. With 2 uprights and 1 ridge pole (2 if long and you use a sleeve), they are easy to set up.

I think that you are on the right path. Never knowing what kind of events may attract you in the future, I believe that it is wise to pick gear that has wide application. The advice others have given about a wedge is very sound. As mentioned, a wedge that opens at both ends is versatile and has the advantage of air flow when camping in the sun at a hot event. I suggest visiting as many events as you can to get a feel for what different groups are doing before spending a lot of cash.

Coot said:
I think that you are on the right path. Never knowing what kind of events may attract you in the future, I believe that it is wise to pick gear that has wide application. The advice others have given about a wedge is very sound. As mentioned, a wedge that opens at both ends is versatile and has the advantage of air flow when camping in the sun at a hot event. I suggest visiting as many events as you can to get a feel for what different groups are doing before spending a lot of cash.
Thanks everybody, some great ideas here. Down to two choices now, I think - one is the two door wedge so the whole side can swing up like an awning. On another thread, a company called R.K. something is mentioned and they have a good pic of a primitive lean to that I could use as a base design.

The longer I sit and think about it, the more I feel I will start simply, with a lean to. Next thing will be a good mattress for sleeping on the ground.

Cheers,

Jamie

jamieorr said:
Next thing will be a good mattress for sleeping on the ground.
While I can't advocate modern conveniences in primitive settings ( :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ), I'd suggest a good quality pad from a company like Therm-a-rest. Those bargain store air mattresses are cold to sleep on and rarely survive more than 1 trip (the last a friend purchased leaked right out of the box).

Black Hand said:
jamieorr said:
Next thing will be a good mattress for sleeping on the ground.
While I can't advocate modern conveniences in primitive settings ( :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ), I'd suggest a good quality pad from a company like Therm-a-rest. Those bargain store air mattresses are cold to sleep on and rarely survive more than 1 trip (the last a friend purchased leaked right out of the box).
I'm with you on that, waking up on near freezing ground with a limp piece of rubberized canvas for insulation just doesn't cut. And I was 30 years younger then!

I'd like a cot, but that might be jumping the gun at this point.

Jamie

Find one of the old Army cots. Place your pad, cover with a blanket that drapes down enough to cover the metal hinges and make your bed. Makes a huge difference in available floor space and you can store items underneath (including your rifle placed in the crotch of the hinge - pad the metal first).

A mattress of some sort is a good idea. In the old days you could just knock the branches off a brushy tree, we can't do that today unless you are in a very empty area and you can do so with out too much damage. In cool weather the ground can suck a lot of heat out of you. You won't freeze to death at a modern reenactment in less you get really drunk and pass out in to cold of weather. In that case you die of stupid not of cold.
We want to enjoy or journey in to the past. And I have spent a lot of time wet and cold in the woods and having a blast. However a cold night and a bad back in the morning can ruin a weekend. Most any kind of mattress can be covered with a blanket, and not spoil your camp or your night.

Mrs Coot got some firm closed cell foam from a shop that cuts boat seats & mattresses to order & made a ticking sack to cover the foam.

Back