• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experimenting with new ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning!
I have a Misner barrel, and have struggled to find a good fit. It's a .44, and I shoot .429, which regularly shreds the already-thin patches. I can sometimes feel the ball dragging (cutting through the patch??) on the way down.
I just received some .424 balls from TOTW, and am anxious to see what happens.
Do you think I'll notice a difference?
After 3 or 4 shots, I can no longer fully seat the ball without running a spit patch or two to clean out the barrel.
Thoughts? What can I do to tune this up?
Thanks
E

You can lap the barrel to smooth it up. Various ways of doing this. Or, just keep shooting and it will eventually smooth out. Many of us swab between every shot. I prefer that routine. Others don't.

You may want to try fire laping your bbl like the man said or you can just wrap some fine steel wool around a cleaning rod and give er a good pollishing good luck to ya.

As far as the wiping is concerned I have yet to find a rifle that I don't have to wipe every 3or four shots. However I wipe between every shot for consistency 1down 1up and done. Works for me. Also for your patches being cut as stated it sounds like some rather sharp rifling . All ideas mentioned are great! Another that I like to use is non embedding bore compound from brownells. I lube a few patches at the range and shoot then I clean the bore with it when I get home. Works great however it does make cleaning the barrel a tad bit more tedious. When u use the compound as it's pretty thick . I usually only need it for 2or three range sessions , just until the rifle no longer cuts patches. Then I shoot as normal. Option 2 is to use the same stuff but sit in front of the tv and do about 100 compete strokes with a cleaning patch. Just remember to go all the way down and bring the rod all the way to the muzzle for a uniform lapping.

Back