• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job. My personal elk rifle has a 1" bbl 32" lg in .54 cal. and it's a little heavy.

Built an S. Hawken w/ a 1"-7/8" tapered bbl 36" lg in .54 and the owner uses it on elk and says it's "an all day gun"....isn't heavy like so many Hawkens of which many were used off of horseback.

pL6b2oR.jpg

It's a LHed rifle but if I had known better, it would have been my first choice in RH....Fred

flehto said:
Nice job. My personal elk rifle has a 1" bbl 32" lg in .54 cal. and it's a little heavy.

Built an S. Hawken w/ a 1"-7/8" tapered bbl 36" lg in .54 and the owner uses it on elk and says it's "an all day gun"....isn't heavy like so many Hawkens of which many were used off of horseback.

pL6b2oR.jpg

It's a LHed rifle but if I had known better, it would have been my first choice in RH....Fred

Very nice simple rifle with excellent wood/finish! :hatsoff:

That is a fine looking rifle. The rifle I made weighs 10 lbs. which will be interesting when I attempt to lug it around all day in the mountains of Oregon.

Normally don't use such a shiny finish but that's what the customer wanted. The weight is 8-3/4 lbs which to me is tolerable.....Fred

GMFHUNTER said:
Here are some pictures of an early plains flintlock .54 rifle that I recently built from a Track of the Wolf kit. I took it out this morning for the first time and was pleased that it shot nice tight groups at various powder charges. Also I never experienced a hang fire or misfire which is pretty good for me. I plan on hunting elk with it this fall and I think it will make a fine weapon. I hope you enjoy the pics.

You've done well, Pilgrim ! :bow: :bow:

:hatsoff:

That is some excellent work. I really like everything about it, stock colour, metal finish, it really turned out well. Best thing I have seen in the world so far yet today, doubt it will equaled. Thank you for sharing, and great pictures too.
Pete

What was the most difficult part of building this kit? I need one of these to fill the gap between my TOTW Jaeger and my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain rifle. I know, it’s a big gap.

Getting the patent breech correctly inlet was probably the hardest part. Also fastening the trigger guard to the plate was challenging because the geometry of the trigger plate prevented the guard from being screwed in all the way. Other than that, it was a pretty straight forward build.

Back