• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Duck Hunting with an Original Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your lead in your underwater not your steel!
BPI sells SperoBismuth it is state of the art Bismuth that is really round. Original Bismuth had many odd shaped pellets so patterns were iffy. If you do decide to shoot steel use BPIs TPS wads as this will be your best bet to protect your barrel. I personally use bismuth 4 for ducks in South Florida and 2s and BBs for ducks and geese up north. Remember when the MAN catches you using lead it’s Federal not State and when the magnet comes out you better have your steel in your underwater!!!! Hope this helps, Reds
I’m

Right not talking about bismuth but using lead and steel. When they put a magnet to your shot it better not stick! Ferrous and non-ferrous metals taught in Jr high shop class back in the day!

I was over at ROTO metals site and you can buy bags of bismuth shot in 10lb bags or as little as 1lb bag to try it out. Might be a good option rather than being a law breaker like me. They have a special mix alloy that makes it less brittle. They say right up front that it isn't always round....
I wonder why you just can't use plated lead shot? A duck should be able to shite that out with out any ill effect.

I would use steel or bismuth shot in conjunction with a modern plastic shot cup.

I have used the plastic cups in 2 different 12 gauge flintlocks. Yes it leaves a little stringy residue. It scalds right off the bore and floats to the surface when the barrel(s) are filled with boiling water during cleaning. I use two 1/8" felt OP wads under the shot cup, and an OS card on top. Helps with the pattern for sure. Just be sure of the bore size, since its an original. The plastic shot cups might not work too well in an odd-bore size.

You have to push steel to to speeds almost impossible with black powder. I promise it works in cartridge arms, but velocity is vital.
Early on the problem with Bismuth was that it was brittle and the pellets would break apart. I believe that this problem has been solved. I have bagged several waterfowl with Bismuth and can attest to it's effectiveness. I have also used Kent Matrix ammo which is Tungsten/Polymer in #1 shot with success on big geese. I have no idea if this shot is available commercially, Steel has been improved but still sucks compared to pure lead

Latest posts

Back