• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Down to the wire.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take up clamming! :rotf: Seriously though, once you get to the hills on the other side of 95 for hunting you will find opportunities aplenty.
Costal hunting can have sweet spots once you learn your areas. Many people will welcome you onto their places for archery too. They like things quiet.
I have a buddy waiting to pick off the bobcat hanging around his chicken coop (and toddler) along the mid coast. Watches the tides and the deer all day.

Very nice young buck, that one will cut down to some very nice top round steaks and bottom round roasts. Maybe a few pounds of cube to make an awesome stew or better yet, some delectable garlic, red pepper, seranno and jalepeno sausage. (Just made a batch on Sunday, letting it age a few days before digging in!)

Griz44Mag said:
...some delectable garlic, red pepper, seranno and jalepeno sausage. (Just made a batch on Sunday, letting it age a few days before digging in!)
You can't tease people like that!
Recipe please....

Black Hand said:
You can't tease people like that!
Recipe please....
Probably not the right place for this, but I have not figured out how to put this in the recipe place.

HOT PEPPER AND GARLIC SAUSAGE
Works well with Venision or Pork
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon Red Crushed Peppers
½ to 1 cup fine chopped (or food processor) Jalepenos and Serranos (your choice of heat)
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Course Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
½ -1# pork fat
1# beef ( I prefer a fatty Chuck roast)
4# Game meat or pork Boston Butt (I prefer venision when available)
LEM Backwoods high temp cheese if desired (I don’t cause I don’t like cheese in sausage)
1 cup cold ice water
Mix all seasoning in the water and put in fridge to keep it cold
Make sure all the meat is super cold, close to freezing.
Grind all the meat with a course plate into a plastic meat lug or large plastic container.
Spread in a layer on the bottom, pour on the seasoning and mix completely.
Run back through the grinder with a medium plate. mix by hand again until the fat breaks apart and the mix gets so sticky that a good sized ball of it sticks in your hand and has to be shaken out.
Stuff into hog casings (32-36mm size) for smoking or bag it for making patties or freezing (keep the air out for freezing.).
When smoking, bring it to a minimum of 150 degrees, do not exceed 155 degrees or the fat will melt.,
It’s a fine line, so get a GOOD thermometer.
Eat and enjoy.
If you add pink curing salt this also makes some fantastic summer sausage or snack sticks.

If you are ever close to Manor, Texas and have a day to kill, come on by, we will mix up a batch or two and head for the range with the smokepoles while it smokes in the Masterbuilt smoker. Maybe enjoy a good rum or whiskey along with some sausage when we get back.

I don't mind. I'm the family chef around here anyway.
That buck is helping make 17 lbs. of smoked Andouille sausage this weekend. Red beans and rice with Andouille along with a bowl my crawfish etouff'ee on the side.
As long as I have the smoker up to temp this weekend I'm going to run a batch of cherry wood smoked salmon to the list. We are frozen solid up here, but I can still go out for salmon through the ice. I hate winter, but, lemons...lemonade...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back