• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you name the guns that you build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If so why or why not? Feminine or Masculine? Is it bad luck to name it before it's finished? I must know the rules as I don't want to breach etiquette.
Like any other inanimate object it has no soul our spirit it either behaves as it was designed or it doesn't and it would just as easily and uncaring-ly shoot me as anything else. Would one name there favorite knife, axe or shovel .................. most wouldn't because they are tools not living beings that care about their current, temporary stewards.

I name my guns, I don’t know they are inanimate 😊, don’t want to upset them if they are not.
My names are mostly asexual but I consider them feminine, much like a ship.
My girls now are
Fido…. My dog lock
Froggy…. My TFC
Ike…. My Lancaster smooth rifle, taken of Isaac Hines plans
Tenngun, ….my SMR

Like any other inanimate object it has no soul our spirit it either behaves as it was designed or it doesn't and it would just as easily and uncaring-ly shoot me as anything else. Would one name there favorite knife, axe or shovel .................. most wouldn't because they are tools not living beings that care about their current, temporary stewards.
Dang, sounds like some women I've known.

I guess so. I have a gun I call 62 caliber Jaeger. And a 58 caliber TC Hoyt rebore percussion. Along with a 58 caliber TC Hoyt rebore flint. 45 caliber GM LRH. Etc. I name them what there are, not something I call out to them to answer to when called. Call your guns whatever you like. Kind of doubt they will answer to their name when called, but hey, I am open to learning.

Yes, I call all my guns.....Guns. Just joking guns are tools, I don't name them either I guess I could call one of my saws "ole buzzer".... 🤣

I only have one rifle I named. The day I shot the rifle the first time, a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico was headed away from the coastline where I lived. No cell phones then for me to get called at the range. Then I came home to find out that Hurricane Elena had turned and was now headed straight for us. That rifle is Elena. Admittedly, my long land pattern musket is called "The King's Musket", but the others are simply described by their purpose, fowler, "Derringer" (it's a replica so it gets the extra "r"), SMR, T/C, CVA, 12 gauge and so on.

If so why or why not? Feminine or Masculine? Is it bad luck to name it before it's finished? I must know the rules as I don't want to breach etiquette.
My .54 was bought, not made by me, but somebody at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading made her. Dropped my first couple of deer where they stood so she was named "Gertrude" (strong spear) , and I call her Trudy. My .40 took a long time arriving, so it's named "Patience". My Bess was modified to look more like a 1st Model King's Musket rather than a Pedersoli Short Land Pattern Bess, so he's called "Old Man".

I think the naming custom often revolves around some experience or characteristic of the rifle or gun itself.

A rather short gun might be called "shorty" but IF the user likes heavy loads, perhaps "thunder" instead. If a person shot such a short gun at night or dusk..., "fire tongue"? IF the owner has made or regularly uses their rifle for long distance shooting, perhaps Long [fill in name here}... BUT..., be careful as if one named that rifle "Longjohn" it sounds either like underwear or a pirate reference... Long John (Silver).

OH I met a fellow who didn't see the second deer standing adjacent to the deer he was shooting, so he actually got both deer with a single round..., his rifle changed names, and now he calls it "brace", being an old term for hitting two targets. I can't remember what it was called before.

So really whatever suits your fancy.

LD

Back