• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you carry a small measure while hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Gadhar said:
I would look at something like 40gr. and see what group I can get, then move down by 5gr. increments, until I find a grouping load, or until I'm at a pre set bottom. You said 25gr. I wouldn't go any lower then that myself, and would try 30-40 1st for results IF you can get a group in that range.
+1 :thumbsup:

Only thing I would add is that if you have a patent breech, be sure you have enough powder to fill it so you don't have a gap between powder and ball.

Actually, for squirrels whatever charge will carry yer ball to the tree tops is sufficient. However, with very light charges there is a price to be paid. With low pressures you will often get incomplete burning and dirty the bore very quickly. I don't think we can provide you with the 'right' answer from the keyboards. Ye need to shoot to find a good grouping with charges less than you would use for Bambi and go with that. Sorry if that sounds like a blow-off reply but that is how I see it.

When I'm hunting deer or elk, I'm automatically loaded for them and the quick and ready measure is for the big game load. However, I also have an adjustable measure in the bag.

From a practical standpoint, if I have a small game opportunity the first shot will be the heavy load. The second shot could be a light load if there is a second shot opportunity but it ends up being another heavy charge in case I don't get to take the shot.

But this is all about the hunting circumstances. For me, Blue grouse will be the only legal small game and headshots on them are easy because it's easy to get close.

I have set off on dedicated small game hunts with a .50 and loaded with 35 grains. It still needs to be headshots though.

If I were to carry a dedicated measure along I'd pick one from Zonies list and go with it.

Rifleman1776 said:
Actually, for squirrels whatever charge will carry yer ball to the tree tops is sufficient. However, with very light charges there is a price to be paid. With low pressures you will often get incomplete burning and dirty the bore very quickly. I don't think we can provide you with the 'right' answer from the keyboards. Ye need to shoot to find a good grouping with charges less than you would use for Bambi and go with that. Sorry if that sounds like a blow-off reply but that is how I see it.
Thanks very much. I had not thought of the lower powder, pressure and incomplete burning of powder. Thanks for the thoughts.

marmotslayer said:
When I'm hunting deer or elk, I'm automatically loaded for them and the quick and ready measure is for the big game load. However, I also have an adjustable measure in the bag.

From a practical standpoint, if I have a small game opportunity the first shot will be the heavy load. The second shot could be a light load if there is a second shot opportunity but it ends up being another heavy charge in case I don't get to take the shot.

But this is all about the hunting circumstances. For me, Blue grouse will be the only legal small game and headshots on them are easy because it's easy to get close.

I have set off on dedicated small game hunts with a .50 and loaded with 35 grains. It still needs to be headshots though.

If I were to carry a dedicated measure along I'd pick one from Zonies list and go with it.

Thanks

I do not carry a measure, instead I carry three pre-measured plastic tubes with rubber stoppers. I have never used more than one. These are the test tubes I got from a veterinarian. He uses them to send in blood samples for a brucellosis test on cattle. Keep yer powder dry......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
This year, my first year to hunt deer with black powder, I wore my coat with the big button down pockets. I carried a small brass flask flask with a push button valve with an 80gr nozzle on it. It holds 4 charges. I carried a bullet board with three bullet holes in it, loaded with patches and balls and a stripper with caps. I used the rod that came with the gun. I loaded the first round before leaving camp from my shooter box, leaving me three rounds for field re-loading. I never had to reload, so it all worked out just fine.

For small game hunting, where it is anticipated that I will take several shots in an outing, I carry a small flask or horn with a fixed measure attached. For big game hunting, I carry a home made board that contains two plastic vials to hold my powder charges, two bored holes for the caliber gun I am shooting that hold patched round balls,a small built-in ball started, and a small leather strip with holes to hold 4 caps, or in the case of my flintlock, a leather sleeve to hold my primer flask.

For deer size game I often carry premeasured charges and don't concern myself with small game. If a shooting bag is carried, I have measures I made from antler and rivercane. Small game means a small rifle for me.

For a light charge with any rifle, I hold a ball in the palm of my hand, and pour just enough powder to cover the top. Comes out just right for squirrels.

okawbow said:
For a light charge with any rifle, I hold a ball in the palm of my hand, and pour just enough powder to cover the top. Comes out just right for squirrels.
Sounds like a good idea

small brass flask

Loading directly from a flask is considered a very dangerous practice. These were primarily a military use item where the occasional soldier getting a hand and/or face blown off was an acceptable loss in return for a rapid rate of fire. Use your flask but pour the powder into a separate measure before dumping down the bore.

I carry a small flask with a pre measure spout for my 32 when hunting and target shooting. I drop the powder into an empty cartridge case and dump it into the barrel from there. I don't like the idea of a 1/4 pound of powder in the flask going bang in my hand.

Kansas Jake said:
I carry a small flask with a pre measure spout for my 32 when hunting and target shooting. I drop the powder into an empty cartridge case and dump it into the barrel from there. I don't like the idea of a 1/4 pound of powder in the flask going bang in my hand.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

marmotslayer said:

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through this thread. My priority is on my big game targets so any smaller critter is likely to get a full load because that's what would be in the barrel.

Blue grouse are common where I elk hunt though. To be perfectly honest, I carry a small caliber pistol for these opportunities. However, now that I'm thinking about it (and to follow board guidelines), my Plains Pistol would be fun to carry for this purpose. :hmm:

Back