• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootemup

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend just acquired a .50 flintlock Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle in nearly new condition.

What would you guys guess this rifle might be worth? I have my own idea and think he got a decent buy, but am curious as to what others think.

Thanks,

Spot

Maybe $400.00 if it's not a kit assembled gun. The lock on mine didn't work very well.

Oh,

Well mebbe it weren't sa good a buy as what ah thought. :grin: That's just a little more than he paid.

I've never owned one of these guns but thought they were going for a little more than that.

Thanks Mark -

Spot

My 1997 catalog has them 575.00 completed and 495.00 in kits. You know they haven't gone down. Dilly

You're gonna wince at this....in 1982 I bought a floor sample left hand 50 cal. Mountain rifle on sale from Dixie for $200.00 plus a whole $4.00 for shipping! I think maybe it was missing the ramrod! About 8 years ago I bought a .32 cal. percussion Mountain rifle from a friend for $225.00, converted it to flint for another $45.00. It's not a lefty, but I grew up shooting right hand rifles left handed so that's not a real big deal. I still have a few right hand flinters, just prefer the lefties as long as they are available now. Emery

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 is a fair price for a fair rifle. If the lock gives your friend problems (and my .50's does work fine), he can get L&R RPL lock for it. My .32 cal has one of those and it also works fine.

Many a squirrel, a couple groundhogs, and several deer have fallen to my Japanese-made rifles, and more will in the future.

One of my brothers has one in percussion that a buddy of his gave him. Good price huh? The fellow for whatever reason decided that if he plugged the nipple and filled the barrel full of WATER :cursing: and put a Cork in it it wouldn't Rust. :youcrazy: We just finished putting on a GM barrel a month or so ago. I still have the original barrel and it is trashed. I may take a reamer to it and make it a smooth-bore barrel or barrels. Your buddy paid a fair price for the rifle he got. It wasn't a steal but worth what he paid unless it has been stored with a barrel full of water. :haha:

:grin: I have had mine for awhile. It has never given me a lick of trouble. In fact it is usually the first rifle I choose to take deer hunting. gunn :thumbsup:
AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

I got one I bought off the rack down there in the 80s. My 1st flintlock.
.50 flint-nary a problem. I like the poor boy style.
Was looking around at prices a while back-not many for sale, all I found were $500+.
They're no longer made.

Back