• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disney: Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A favorite episode in the Disney series on Davey Crockett was a show off, one ups man shoot in a general store. Maybe in Mike Fink and the River Boat Men. Davey sets up a series of cast iron skillets around the store at different angles and puts a round ball unseen (except to the audience) into his mouth before shooting at one skillet. You hear the ball ricocheting around the room and after it bounces off the last skillet he jumps up to "catch" the round ball now shown grasped between his teeth. That had to be a challenging and fun scene to set up and film. Readers" disclaimer: don't try this at home. Somewhere on line there is an article with pictures of several muzzle loaders used by Fess Parker in both Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone. I have an old black and white print of him holding a flintlock rifle with the rear sight way forward of the breech. His knife in the cheesey sheath appears to be a Kabar style.

Anytime I was at a Disney theme park....head for Frontierland! Don't know if they even have it anymore.

My maternal grandparents used to take me over to Disneyland just about every summer during the mid and late '70s. We'd load up their car and drive from Phoenix to Anaheim, spend the weekend, then drive back. Frontierland was one of my favorites too. Tom Sawyer's Island, the Twain riverboat, the sailing ship, etc. Wonderful times and wonderful memories.

I have early memories of those days when the Disney Davy Crockett series became a big hit and my older brothers went banana's watching it! I was still in diapers so didn't quite get so enthused at the time! The boys got these Davy Crockett iron on patches that our mom put on sweat shirts along with coonskin caps that were fake fur or maybe rabbit with real coon tails.

I remember that my wife had her POLLY CROCKETT COON / RABBIT SKIN FUR CAP. any one else remember them?

I grew up watching Fess Parker as Dan’l Boone. He was my hero and is responsible for my love of flintlock rifles.
I even tried to convince my parents to change my name to Daniel Boone.
One of our local tv stations played the reruns for a year or two. I didn’t miss a one.

Nick Cravet (Busted Luck a Comanche tribesman), Fess Parker (Crockett), Buddy Ebson (Georgie Russel).

View attachment 63488

Cravet (5' 4") teamed up with Burt Lancaster (6' 1") for 8 years in a circus acrobatic act before Lancaster became a Hollywood super star.

View attachment 63489

Cravet was also the little Gremlin in the William Shatner Twilight Zone feature Nightmare at 20,000 feet.

View attachment 63492
Saw an episode of Kung Fu (David Carradine) where Shatner was a bad guy and took a beating from Carradine.
(1974)

A favorite episode in the Disney series on Davey Crockett was a show off, one ups man shoot in a general store. Maybe in Mike Fink and the River Boat Men. Davey sets up a series of cast iron skillets around the store at different angles and puts a round ball unseen (except to the audience) into his mouth before shooting at one skillet. You hear the ball ricocheting around the room and after it bounces off the last skillet he jumps up to "catch" the round ball now shown grasped between his teeth. That had to be a challenging and fun scene to set up and film. Readers" disclaimer: don't try this at home. Somewhere on line there is an article with pictures of several muzzle loaders used by Fess Parker in both Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone. I have an old black and white print of him holding a flintlock rifle with the rear sight way forward of the breech. His knife in the cheesey sheath appears to be a Kabar style.
I recall that. Nowadays, there'd be a legal disclaimer regarding dangers of Lead exposure, and an insert stating that he only used a non-toxic, prop bullet. A lot of the old props wouldn't stand up to examination, such as we see in modern films like "Mohicans", etc.

I have early memories of those days when the Disney Davy Crockett series became a big hit and my older brothers went banana's watching it! I was still in diapers so didn't quite get so enthused at the time! The boys got these Davy Crockett iron on patches that our mom put on sweat shirts along with coonskin caps that were fake fur or maybe rabbit with real coon tails.
There were neat spin-off products you'd find at the five-and-dime. Like a card with a ring and several keys, touted as The Keys To The Alamo! I was shocked when Davy and Georgie Russell got "killed" at the Alamo!

The Davy Crockett TV shows were so popular that the brand new elementary school that was being built 1/2 mile from where I lived back in 1955 was named Davy Crockett Elementary School.

Since the "Name purists" haven't gotten to it yet, it is still named Davy Crockett Elementary School today. :)

No. I didn't get to go to it. We moved to a different neighborhood the year it opened.

I recently read somewhere that during his life, David Crockett never went by Davy, always David. That nickname didn't come about until the dime novels and theater plays started.

Latest posts

Back