• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did Pietta stop making the "Griswold & Gunnison" and "Schneider & Glassick" repros?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pietta had accidently been making Schneider & Glassick repros for years, by simply making an lower priced brass framed .36 Navy with an octagonal and a plain cylinder, and also the Griswold with the round barrel and plain , unengraved cylinder.....they were neat and they were around for years.

I see tons of the .36 brass Navies with engraved cylinders and octagonal barrels.......I guess Pietta decided it was more economical to just use the engraved cylinders for everything? Just a random question.

I got tired of trying to find one of the “accidental” S&G repops with a smooth cylinder so I finally bought a used one in good condition, chucked the cylinder into my portable drill, and sanded off all of the engraving. It didn’t even take too long - only three charges of the drill.

I see the smooth cylinder brass models (Griswold & Gunnison) on Gunbroker occasionally but they’re rare. I have three G&Gs - two are older Ubertis (1964-1970) and the other is a 2002 Pietta. They all have the smooth cylinder.

Griswold & Gunnison new grip angle ... DIY.
Long Johns Wolf

Attachments

• 1-P1070962.JPG
    1-P1070962.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 45
I don't wish to take over this thread but yes, the grip angle is one of the key historical issues of the G&Gs.
Without this manipulation the barrel would be positioned parallel to a table or else when the butt is firmly placed on such a flat surface.
With thist 5 to 10 ° adjustment of the buttstrap the barrel points slightly up.
Long Johns Wolf

20220320_010926.jpg

I found 2 of the "Schneider & Glassicks" on GunBroker about a year ago, I was actively looking for them

I am just fascinated that Pietta doesn't want to just not roll engrave some cylinders and keep making them instead of just popping engraved cylinders in everything

As I remember (it’s many years since I did mine and I no longer have it), but I calculated the angle by printing out a photo of a G&G.
I bent the top/back grip frame tnen the front till the lower screw hole lined up and tren screwed the two together.
I made a new grip the easy way by making an insert and then gluing grip panels to it to produce a seemingly one piece grip.
I think that it was worth the effort.

Back