• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder locks up on half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While shooting my Walker, I went to reload and the bolt would lock the cylinder when put on half cock. When the hammer was pulled back about one inch, the cylinder would move freely. But when the hammer reached the half cock position, the bolt would lock the cylinder. If I went to full cock, the cylinder would rotate normally. I checked for a spent cap in the works, but didn’t find any. Thoughts?

That's a first on me. Usually if the bolt locks the cylinder, it should stay locked in full cock. The bolt leg doesn't re-engage until the hammer goes back down. Only thing I can think of is the leg is catching the hammer somehow and actuating it again? The bolt leg might be catching on the pin on the hand.

Last edited:
I would just disassemble it, clean it, and lube it. I'm guessing there's still something in there jamming it up. Caps can split into pieces and there might be something lodged in there that you can't see until you disassemble it.
I broke it down as far as removing the trigger guard, hammer and the hand. I didn’t take the trigger assembly apart. Maybe I should?

While shooting my Walker, I went to reload and the bolt would lock the cylinder when put on half cock. When the hammer was pulled back about one inch, the cylinder would move freely. But when the hammer reached the half cock position, the bolt would lock the cylinder. If I went to full cock, the cylinder would rotate normally. I checked for a spent cap in the works, but didn’t find any. Thoughts?

The bolt is dropping off the cam much too early. Pics of the hammer cam and bolt would help.

Mike

I broke it down as far as removing the trigger guard, hammer and the hand. I didn’t take the trigger assembly apart. Maybe I should?
Yes, take out everything. Good possibility cap fragments. I was under the impression you had already done it.

FYI, and a thought, I was looking at the hammer shaped form on the back of my walker and darned if there was not a cap piece perfectly molded in there.

I had looked and had some odd function, found a cap back there but this was contoured like it was factory. Almost impossible to see it was so perfect.

Or it could be other junk worked its way into the interior.

Might not be the problem but pondering that the bolt drops down as you go towards half cock, if its latched in the cylinder should not come off easily and you can also get the cylinder off and play with the action to get a better view of the bolt.

Its pretty well hid in there.

FYI, and a thought, I was looking at the hammer shaped form on the back of my walker and darned if there was not a cap piece perfectly molded in there.

I had looked and had some odd function, found a cap back there but this was contoured like it was factory. Almost impossible to see it was so perfect.

Or it could be other junk worked its way into the interior.

Might not be the problem but pondering that the bolt drops down as you go towards half cock, if its latched in the cylinder should not come off easily and you can also get the cylinder off and play with the action to get a better view of the bolt.

Its pretty well hid in there.
Similar to what a buddy of mine that happens to be a doctor calls a SUIT. Something up in there. Even with his warped sense of humor, his patients seem to trust and respect him. Time to completely disassemble the gun and clean and deburr everything before reassembling.

Last edited:
The leg of the bolt that interacts with the cam on the hammer may have broken off and thusly will not retract the bolt. While you are in there I would replace the bolt spring with a wire type that will be much better and less likely to break.

Latest posts

Back