• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle set trigger not working

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have not fiddled with the trigger yet other than turned screw in until it tripped then backed off about 3/4 turn. Front trigger works ok but the set don't do nothing. Any suggestions would appreciated.

I have not fiddled with the trigger yet other than turned screw in until it tripped then backed off about 3/4 turn. Front trigger works ok but the set don't do nothing. Any suggestions would appreciated.
Following I'm having the same problem.

I had trigger problems on both of my mountain rifles. They were both fixed by shimming the trigger as to where it didn’t set so deep in the mortis. One of them I needed to remove some wood around the sear. Take the trigger out of the rifle, if it functions as it should out of the rifle start looking for interference points in the area of the sear.

Had the same issue with mine. I shortened a .223 casing and slipped it over the tang screw to the trigger assembly. Took a few times taking the casing out to file a little more length off it but once at the right length all good.

I just have to say, there are some things to figure out with the CVA mountain rifle. I still have both, a 45 and a 50. They are the most enjoyed and accurate that I have. I really enjoy them. The 50 has an L&R RPL lock on it. They are very comfortable to carry and shoot.

My kit Mountain Rifle had trigger issues which I can’t specifically remember what right now. I do know I fixed it by putting a very small screw under the front of the trigger to “shim” it back out. I figured someday I could bed around the screw but have not felt the need. I do know it fixed the problem.

seems to be a CVA issue as I have had two that needed a shim to fix
You are correct. I built my USA MR in 1977. This problem and how to fix it was mentioned in the instructions (along with how to bend the cock if needed-I did and got it perfect the first try). I ended up adding a business card shim to the mortise. 46 years and over 70 pounds of 3f Goex later, both the lock and the triggers work perfectly.

Good evening, COTNTOP.
Check out Murphy Firearms Training on YouTube, he has a couple good videos on double set triggers. I had issues with my 2 of my CVAs and a GPR. They helped me plus one of them I needed to put a shim under my lock, I picked that tip up on this forum.
Good luck.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Gum Slough

Agree with the others on shimming the trigger bar out. Nobody has yet to specify that you need to shim the front of the trigger bar in it's inlet. I used an old credit card, cut a crescent shaped piece to fit the inlet. A little super glue and presto! It has held up for about 15 years now.

Back