• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooter303

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a 50 cal cva barrel. the original bolster has been remaved and replaced with a shorter after market one.it don't go all the way through the breech plug like the original one did. has anyone on here had problems with one of these with rust building up on the exposed threads.

if ya look around here & find necchi's picture of a cut-away cva breechplug system that shows how everything meshes together ya may get a better idea if ya got a problem or not. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

CVAbreech_zps777e9059.jpg

fron that picture i wouldn't have to much exposed. will keep it cleaned and oiled. should be good for a few shots.thanks for the reply.

Since the bolster no longer interlocks with the breech plug, I would guess that the situation you describe has weakened the breeching system. It's worth noting that CVA originally stipulated that any tampering with the breech would have voided all warranties.

Pretty sure Totw sells them so they should be safe. Can't believe they would knowingly sell an unsafe product. As for the rust. Oil is your friend. :) Larry

i do believe it came from totw. when i do use it i won't be loading it up too heavy. stay on the target load end.

I've bought those in the past. If you look at the original past "D" in the illustration that part does not contribute to the strength of the system at all once it protrudes through the breech and barrel. The only thing that bothered me about it is that there are threads all around in there that gather "Mud" from cleaning. This mud dries and stays in there I believe even through a flushing. Probably wont hurt a thing. Plus it will fire more reliably with the new style drum.

Bob

i use the old toilet bowl for my cleaning. i don't bother with the bore cleaners. get a good clean pumping the water through. a simple flush and clean water.

cooter303 said:
i use the old toilet bowl for my cleaning. i don't bother with the bore cleaners. get a good clean pumping the water through. a simple flush and clean water.
and every joke I can think up for this one, none of them would make it past the moderators or the curse filters

:haha:

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm guessing the bowl would need to be free of floaters. And then there is the question of how big a Kidney stone will pass through the vent liner. :) All jokes aside it isn't a bad idea. Easy clean up and the smell of Black powder could be an improvement. :redface: Bed time for me. :v Larry

Back