• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Relic Wood Boxes - What do you Use to Store your BP supplies?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my idea for storage.

1706020871297.png

I make my boxes using period joinery, either dovetailed or doweled. Box joints are a product of the last quarter of the 19th century. Dovetails have been used for joinery for over 3000 years and work with or without glue. Butt joints and dowels are even older.

Here is a picture of my first dovetailed box made with a jig and router. I made a dozen mistakes but managed to salvage it. I keep this around to remind me where I started. I keep working to learn to cut dovetails completely by hand as the old-timers did. I'm not there yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_105121065_BURST002.jpg
    IMG_20240123_105121065_BURST002.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
I use a Plano tackle box.
So do I, two of them in fact, along with a milk crate of stuff. The closest range charges $20 plus $5 per gun. I spend the day there with multiple firearms, so tend to take everything I might need. Sigh, I miss the days I could walk out the back door and just shoot.

I want to build a Gerstner styled range box someday, but it's low on the need-it list as the plastic boxes do for public ranges.

Last edited:
So do I, two of them in fact, along with a milk crate of stuff. The closest range charges $20 plus $5 per gun. I spend the day there with multiple firearms, so tend to take everything I might need. Sigh, I miss the days I could walk out the back door and just shoot.

I want to build a Gerstner styled range box someday, but it's low on the need-it list as the plastic boxes do for public ranges.
Harbor freight has a gerstner nock off that is pretty cheap. When there is a sale it is usually around 69 bucks. I use one for Parts and cleaning supplies for my BP. 8 Drawer Wood Tool Chest

Harbor freight has a gerstner nock off that is pretty cheap. When there is a sale it is usually around 69 bucks. I use one for Parts and cleaning supplies for my BP. 8 Drawer Wood Tool Chest
I've looked at those for years and they still strike me as too flimsy. Some I've looked at have been poorly assembled, some better assembled, but still not the best construction techniques.

I probably should just buy one and put it on my workbench and see how it holds up. Worst case is that I'll break it...which means bite the bullet and build my own. Maybe I can learn to cut decent dovetails by the end of the build.

I'll go look at them again next time in town. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
I told my neighbor who is a master wood worker to make me a colonial pine coffin box.
So he made me a square pine box. Inside was a picture of a 1700s coffin which was a rectangular box, not later 1800s style coffin style.
Dang PC old man

So the plastic containers I ordered arrived today. This is the complete box for 12 Gauge. I am going to do a couple more for the 20 and 10 gauge. Now if I only had a nice sxs 28. That is my favorite in regular shotguns.

Attachments

• IMG_8900.jpg
    IMG_8900.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8901.jpg
    IMG_8901.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Wanted to share my custom Relic Wood Boxes that I had made. I use these for black powder shooting/ black powder storage.

The Naval scene on my black powder range box is the famous duel between the USS Constitution and the HMS Guerriere during the war of 1812.

The Blackpowder Chest has 13 colonies Flag on top with a scene from the Battle of Long island inside.

Feel free to share what you use for the BP storage needs or BP range box.

View attachment 287679

View attachment 287680

View attachment 287682

View attachment 287683

View attachment 287684

View attachment 287686

View attachment 287685
Nice work, did you airbrush the ships?

My neighbor gifted me an old machinistā€™s tool box that his father in law had bequeathed him. I had no real need for it until I realized it would be very useful storage for BP revolver accessories and necessities. Everything fits, though I limit the amount of lead I take to the range for an outing as the box gets too heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8180.jpeg
    IMG_8180.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8181.jpeg
    IMG_8181.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8182.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
My neighbor gifted me an old machinistā€™s tool box that his father in law had bequeathed him. I had no real need for it until I realized it would be very useful storage for BP revolver accessories and necessities. Everything fits, though I limit the amount of lead I take to the range for an outing as the box gets too heavy.
I just love those old Machinist's boxes.

Latest posts

Back