• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crossed this off the bucket list today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the Ferguson rifle. The helical breech and breech loading of a flintlock is just ingenious. However, there are no commercial repops out there, originals (the few surviving) are behind glass in a museums and those that are out there have to be made from parts and I'm not talking Kibler level of sticking parts together. So today, a friend of mine showed up at the range with a Ferguson he just finished and he's no slouch at gunsmithing and yup, we sent more than a couple round balls down range. Pix to follow later, I was too busy twisting the trigger guard and pulling the trigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_rifle

Here's a couple pix from this weekend. More to come from another person present

A couple geezers with a seriously funky flinter. Vinny, the Ferguson builder, is on the left. I'm the other guy taking up the right side of the shot.

20230611_111547.jpg

And another. Guy on the left is a dead ringer for Teddy Roosevelt. He's holding an original 1842 Macon. Vinny on the right is the builder of the Ferguson. And yes, we were shooting all the guns in these pix.
20230611_111638.jpg

A couple geezers with a seriously funky flinter. Vinny, the Ferguson builder, is on the left. I'm the other guy taking up the right side of the shot.

View attachment 227675

And another. Guy on the left is a dead ringer for Teddy Roosevelt. He's holding an original 1842 Macon. Vinny on the right is the builder of the Ferguson. And yes, we were shooting all the guns in these pix.
View attachment 227676
Sweet images, lads! Great presentation.

Pete

View attachment 227675

View attachment 227676
Wow! And the hats are perfect, too!

Huzzah! That Ferg kit is the #1 most popular kit sold by TRS! Hope he followed Dave Person's build advice, so it doesn't break apart on him ...

Book - If the builder hasn't gotten this yet, the book "Every Insult & Indignity: The Life, Genius, and Legacy of Major Patrick Ferguson", by Ricky Roberts and Bryan Brown, has great advice on loading and shooting a Fergie.

Latest posts

Back