• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett rifle cleanout screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enfield said:
Have You ever seen such a "cleanout - plug " built in in an Original ?

I was wondering about this.

I'd guess , mostly NOT .

My guess too. It's difficult to imagine hard-boiled hunters, trappers, soldiers, etc. hunkered down beside a fire at night, pulling out their cleanout screws and trying to keep track of them as they're cleaning their guns.

Pumping hot water through the normal piston/nipple/flashhole thread makes much more sence for me , since this is/are the areas which call for REAL cleaning !

Yup. I think my original view of the value of such "cleanouts" was misguided.

Never forget to wipe Your barrels after cleaning and before oiling with a patch with some alcohol for binding remaining water and therefore preventing them from rust .

Absolutely.

So if by slightly lowering the margin by selling a higher quality (and more costly to produce) product at the same price, they would then sell more of the product and so increase the net overall profit for the item, that would be a win and very much appreciated by the shareholders.
These companies cannot make enough product to fill orders today. Do they spend more to ‘improve’ quality and sell the same limited number of units for less profit? Or just increase the selling price to make more profit or as an attempt to cover other increasing costs? Check the empty shelves and out of stock message. Oh and the new price when back in stock.

Spent my work life making products for the automotive and transportation industry. I can not count the number of times I saw contracts won or lost literally over pennies, even at the expense of quality and/or product performance. Nothing worse than laying folks because of a contact that was lost over less than a nickel per unit. I can give examples, but things are going more than a bit off topic for a traditional muzzleloading forum.

These companies cannot make enough product to fill orders today. Do they spend more to ‘improve’ quality and sell the same limited number of units for less profit? Or just increase the selling price to make more profit or as an attempt to cover other increasing costs? Check the empty shelves and out of stock message. Oh and the new price when back in stock.

Good points.

Back