• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco vs spit patch - speed increase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Wanted to share this - got an old TC manual and it states that the spit patch is inferior to a crisco patch and the crisco patch will also have a increase of 50 fps ( 50 cal - 50 gr FFg)and will keep the velocity variation smaller...

Spit varies as to who is doing the splitting!Crisco has a constant consistancy for the temperature. But then people sell crisco and spit is free! :hmm:

I think you would need a chrono to figure that one out.

I'll tell you a general rule that I've observed to be generally true (that's why it's called a "general rule" :) ) The tighter a load or the more resistance to pushing the ball down the bore, the faster it will shoot.

All I have used...well, probably 98% of the patches I used were spit patches. I would carry several im my mouth as I hunted/prowled with my M/L and use them as needed. I carried all I could fit in a #11 cap tin precut and usually a nipple on the bottom of the tin to keep it from rattling. The game I shot never knew the difference and they loaded so much easier than crisco.
My .02
Eterry

I do a lot of my range shooting and especially trail walks with spit patches. It's fast, simple, easy out of the bag and pretty darn consistent.

OTOH, when it comes to hunting I never use spit just because I don't know how long the gun will be loaded. I'm pretty sure that shoving a spit patched ball down the bore of a rifle and leaving it there for a while is going to lead to corrosion. Especially if the gun has already been fired once that day and has fouling in the bore.

It does call for making some adjustments to how the rifle shoots with the differences between spit and grease. Just another excuse to head to the range! :)

I agree. :hatsoff: I do the same thing, but in my case, I can ASSURE YOU that leaving a spit patch in your barrel all day to dry out WILL leave a RUST RING in the barrel where the Patch touched. BTDT. OUCH! :shocked2: :hmm:

It IS a nice "excuse" to go to the range however. :grin:

They may behave differently in round bottom barrels vs square bottom rifling. They do in my Rice round bottom .54. Each barrel is likely a case by itself. Find out what your barrel likes.

Regards,
Pletch

paulvallandigham said:
I agree. :hatsoff: I do the same thing, but in my case, I can ASSURE YOU that leaving a spit patch in your barrel all day to dry out WILL leave a RUST RING in the barrel where the Patch touched. BTDT. OUCH! :shocked2: :hmm:

I ran a spit-patched ball down an inline and left it in the garage for a day as an experiment. Pulled the ball and the patch was a RUSTY REDDISH BROWN color. For this reason I do not hunt with a spit-patch ball, but will use a spit-patch for offhand practice ONLY.

Thanks. I was unaware that Crisco remains consistant with temperature. Is Crisco salt free?

It does not remain consistent with temp. But, it does not seem to make any difference as to how it shoots as long as it is consistently applied. I mix about 1/10 bees wax and crisco. That's enough to prevent a hot day melt down of crisco.

Just got back from the range about an hour ago. Went to regulate my guns for next sat deer/elk opener. Used the crisco bees wax to good effect. Crisco leaves a lot of soft sludge in the bore and needs to be wiped after each shot. especially on dry days like today. 1000+ and it's variants shoot much cleaner but then there is the price. :shocked2:

No salt on the label and no evidence of salt residues or corrosive effects.

Never tested for velocity. Spit patch is excellent for general shooting and keeps loading easier. For hunting your first load, at least, should be Crisco. Spit patch loads must be fired fairly soon after loading or, as stated above, the patch will dry out and the patch could set up a rust ring if left in too long.

just my experience I get tighter groups with a grease patch, I wipe between shots, dry patch with a flannel patch.
quick loading in the deer woods the grease patch takes just abit more pressure than a spit patch.

Back