• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conversions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've heard lately, actually always, but often recently, talk about converting percussion guns to flintlock. I suppose partly because caps being in short supply and getting more expensive. I own 20-25 muzzleloading rifles, all RH, as well as a few revolvers. Only one of my rifles is a flintlock, a Traditions .50 caliber. I have few precut flints for it and a chunk of flint about twice the size of a softball. I have never tried knapping any flints from the big chunk, not wanting to be wasteful. Sometimes when I learn how, watching a few more videos I will give it a go. Meantime, I would consider converting some of my other rifles to flint. Some I would probably be reluctant to convert are my Thompson Centers. Others I might are CVAs and other brands. I will watch for flintlock locks that can be made to fit where typical reproduction percussion lock were used.

I've heard lately, actually always, but often recently, talk about converting percussion guns to flintlock. I suppose partly because caps being in short supply and getting more expensive. I own 20-25 muzzleloading rifles, all RH, as well as a few revolvers. Only one of my rifles is a flintlock, a Traditions .50 caliber. I have few precut flints for it and a chunk of flint about twice the size of a softball. I have never tried knapping any flints from the big chunk, not wanting to be wasteful. Sometimes when I learn how, watching a few more videos I will give it a go. Meantime, I would consider converting some of my other rifles to flint. Some I would probably be reluctant to convert are my Thompson Centers. Others I might are CVAs and other brands. I will watch for flintlock locks that can be made to fit where typical reproduction percussion lock were used.
Just make you own caps its no problem

Easier than making your own flints, huh? Are there such things as synthetic flints?

Flintlocks are tradition. They are wonderful to shoot, and
you can fire-up tinder with them. They are all around
satisfying to shoot--but are climbing in cost if a good lock
is involved.

Went to a muzzleloading market fair this weekend. got there early Friday afternoon. Couldn't find a 3/4" flint anywhere in the building. there were most other size flints running from $2.50 and up each. Musket flints were $5.45 each. Same vendor had 10, 11, and musket caps they weren't cheap but they had a good supply. Don't think it matters which way you go things are going to be in short supply and a lot more expensive when you can find them.

I guess it's good that I also enjoy air gun shooting. I hesitate to say it but, no "shortage" of lead pellets in .177 or .22 calibers, (yet).

Easier than making your own flints, huh? Are there such things as synthetic flints?
At one time there was a company making flints from compressed diamond dust. These flints(?) were very hard and made great sparks. They only came in 5/8" size. I still have one that I have swapped to several different rifles over the years. I am willing to be that this flint has over 300 shots or more on it and it is still sharp. I use this flint mostly in competition shoots where you only get one hammer fall per target.

Latest posts

Back