• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conicals and flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen a number of posts now that state that conical bullets and flint ignition don't work right or go together. I have a flint fast twist rifle that shoots conical bullets just fine. I actually prefer a flint ignition on a rifle.

Anyone care to comment on their opinions?

Flint or percusion doesn't matter with conicals. Twist does matter! And most flintlocks have slower twist . Therefore many people assume that since conicals don't shoot well out of their flints they won't shoot well out of all flints. :idunno: :idunno:

You mentioned a fast twist barrel. I think the correct barrel twist is the important thing - not the ignition type. A friend on another list bult a flint long range bullet gun (Oak Ridge type) just to see if he could. He may burn through his vents pretty fast. He may need a platinum vent similar to the platinum nipples used on percussion LRBGs. Might be fun.
Regards,
Pletch

Walks with fire said:
I have seen a number of posts now that state that conical bullets and flint ignition don't work right or go together. I have a flint fast twist rifle that shoots conical bullets just fine. I actually prefer a flint ignition on a rifle.

Anyone care to comment on their opinions?

Aside from the other problems conicals cause, in a FL vent liner life will be reduced, probably greatly reduced.

Dan

I've used .41 mag pistol bullets (172 gr.) in my .40 with good effect. They were swaged through a section of GM 1 in 48 twist barrel which engraved the rifling on the bullet. Bumped the RB charge (60 grs.) up to 70 grs.
:thumbsup:

It's like equipping a Sopwith Camel biplane to fire Sidewinder missiles. It may work . . . but why?

If the flinter has slow rifling it won't stabilize the conical - and the added mass of the bullet may cause added pressure and vent wear as Dan mentioned.

Rifleman1776 said:
Others have already said it. Go try it, you should be fine.

I don't see the need for the combo, but agree that you should try it purely for curiosity sake. In fact I did, a 1:48" 50 cal with LEE REAL and Hornady Plains bullets, just cuzz they were sitting there on the shelf. Both worked and gave decent accuracy with a lubed felt wad under them.

I did what I wanted, learned what I could, and didn't hurt the gun. That was worthwhile for me, even though I don't particularly see a "need" for them in a flinter. If I was a longrange shooter, all that would change, though.

Harmless curiosity is a good thing in my book, but I'm no purist.

Stumpkiller said:
It's like equipping a Sopwith Camel biplane to fire Sidewinder missiles. It may work . . . but why?

If the flinter has slow rifling it won't stabilize the conical - and the added mass of the bullet may cause added pressure and vent wear as Dan mentioned.

People tend to believe the BS advertising and get lead down the primrose path so to speak.
A friend shot through an antelope the other day with a 54 Rb at 238 yards. Broke ribs going in and coming out and the Antelope went down in its tracks.
It was too far and he admitted it was a "scratch shot", but modern "longrange hunters" (the 600-1000 yard crowd) have them so spooked in his area that getting within 500 is hard enough. They tend to go out on large flats and just stay there all day. With their 8x vision trying to sneak on them to within RB range is virtually impossible. They will identify you at a mile if they see you.
He is a better than average shot, however and very experienced.

Dan

I had a getz barrel in 54cal. 1:66 twist. It shot 450 grn. conicals veryy well but
i had to load it very hot to get it to group right. It worked fine with 114 grs of ffg goex.

My barrels are the GM 1/28 twist Long Range Hunter. The reason they are flint is because PA has a long flintlock only season. The conicals do burn up the liner quickly and there is a lot of pressure out the vent; but they shoot very accuratly. They probably loose quite a bit of velocity because of that. I have roundball barrel for the same stock and rarely shoot the conicals; mostly because it's not needed and the recoil is a bit much but not real bad.

I have never fired a percussion rifle but I would think that firing a heavy conical in a sidelock percussion lock would have a great deal of the same pressure out the flash channel; maybe enough to blow the hammer back. I do know though.

While there is no reason to choose conicals instead of round ball, I tried T/C Maxi-balls in a .54 and a .50 both having 1-66" twist; this several years ago. Accuracy couldn't compare with prb but it was easily good enough for deer at 100 yards. You don't need a 2" group to kill a deer. But on the other hand prb, IME, kills better, faster.

I'm no expert but I've thought about this before. Seems to me that alot of pressure would be lost through the venthole. More powder could be used to compensate thus the problems with the venthole. The Pedersoli Jeager is a fast twist rifle. I don't know which projectiles are suggested but it should say in the Pedersoli site. Oddly enough some original Jaegers had fast twist barrels so they might actually be correct. I've read one turn in the barrel... :idunno:

It has nothing to do with ignition. Conicals and Flintlocks are like matter and antimatter. You can shove a conical down the throat of a flintlock, but every time you do it a purist flintlock enthusiast somewhere evaporates in to dust! :grin:

While I don't intend on shooting 238 yards at a deer with ANY open sighted firearm; I must admit I needed to experiement with the fast twist barrels and various projectile from it. I also must admit that I didn't spend that much time with the OTHER projectiles and still find myself coming back to the good ol roundball.

A man just has to look around a little before he settles down if you get the drift. I am fine with the so called limitations of roundball and really prefer them. I like everything about them except I am uncomfortable shooting them very far in windy conditions.

Walks with fire said:
While I don't intend on shooting 238 yards at a deer with ANY open sighted firearm; I must admit I needed to experiement with the fast twist barrels and various projectile from it. I also must admit that I didn't spend that much time with the OTHER projectiles and still find myself coming back to the good ol roundball.

A man just has to look around a little before he settles down if you get the drift. I am fine with the so called limitations of roundball and really prefer them. I like everything about them except I am uncomfortable shooting them very far in windy conditions.

Its just a 30+ year pet peeve of mine...

So bear with, its not aimed at you... :grin:

I have BP cartridge rifles that shoot bullets just fine.
No excessive nipple erosion (once ruined a nipple in less than 20 rounds of 54 maxis in testing), no bullets forming bore obstructions by sliding off the powder (tested that too). Of course the gas cut nipple blowing the hammer to 1/2 or full cock was cured by venting the nipple, another "new and improved" worthless (actually worse then worthless) gizmo. This jewel neatly eliminating the classic sign of over pressure in percussion guns. Can't have them pressure signs after all, people might not buy the bullets.... So we make a massive gas leak at the breech. Something that a properly designed and constructed percussion lock and breech is supposed to provide for shooter safety.

I tested some Maxi Balls for penetration years ago IIRC at hunting ranges the penetration was about 30% better than the RB. Since the 54 RB would penetrate about 30" in deer I could see little point in using them for hunting. Reports on both deer and larger game indicate dismal performance as a game KILLER. Thus a hunting bullet had to be invented for this use.
When I started shooting MLs the only "bullet" I knew of was the Minie and I did not have a rifle musket. There were others even then, pickets and PP slugs, but nobody used them off the target ranges. For good reason. Loading process far too complex.
But when the mass produced, buy at Walmart guns appeared, the bullet came with it. People did not seem to be able overcome difficulties of the overly complicated patched round ball. Besides the gun writers (who did not have a clue other than the bullet makers bought ads in the magazine) said the RB would not kill anything. AND their 270 shot long bullets too.
So I see people who have fallen for the bullet in hunting MLs myth as being mislead by people no more knowledgeable than themselves but had a typewriter and access to an editor.
I have a 40 caliber I shoot cloth patched picket bullets out of when I shoot it. But they are difficult to load accurately and overall are a PITA but being patched like a RB they don't slide off the powder... They do require a lot of powder, 80 grs in a 40. Then the nipple erosion thing starts. BTW the high pressure MLs (10 pound LR match rifle by Rigby, Gibbs etc using as much as 120 gr of powder and a 480 to 550 gr 45 cal bullet for example, read "The ML Caplock Rifle" by Roberts) of the past generally used a Platinum lined nipple to control erosion. Or later in slug guns a sealed ignition using a cap or a CF primer.
Platinum lined nipples can still be bought. Since people still compete with picket bullet rifles and slug guns there is a market.
The conical was known by 1840-1850 but was seldom used by the experienced hunters. Hunters shooting large African or Asian game virtually all used the RB in MLs. Some tried the conical and abandoned it. I suspect, based on Sir Samuel Baker's experiences, that some tried it an did not survive.
Yet in modern times we are expected to believe that a 220 gr RB will not kill a 200-400 pound deer when a 700 grain RB (10 gauge) will kill an animal weighing 10000 pounds with one well placed shot.
Read the Elephant chapters of "Pondoro" by John Taylor. Actual first person 1930s account of shooting African Elephant (13 good bulls) and some Rhino with a 10 to the pound smooth bore ML. Regulated for 6 drams of powder and a round ball. Six drams is only 167gr IIRC.

Today's "experts" would swear this would never work, after all he used a RB and these will not penetrate far enough to kill :rotf:

Dan

Yep; the roundball is a fine performer and I had to do the field study to find out for myself. I started out with roundball and went full circle back to it. Actually a flinter just needs the patched roundball to be balanced properly if you will. It's pure and simple. :thumbsup:

The only thing I see about the modern conicals is that most are not like the originals and would not have been used in flint guns or caplocks but that is just a personal thing as I try to avoid any use of stuff that offers an advantage over the original gear that is not really needed to keep the sport affordable such as steel barrels and machine stock work

BTW the below is undoubtedly one of the biggest piles of crappola I have seen for some time, look at all the very sucessfull long time PRB hunters just on this forum and that statement will not hold water, if you cannot take big game at typical 100Yd or less ML ranges with a PRB and open sights then you are not doing something right it is not the balls fault, and don't bother replying to me Dan as I do not get your post directly, just from others quotes

" Reports on both deer and larger game indicate dismal performance as a game KILLER. Thus a hunting bullet had to be invented for this use"

Back