• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

colt style timing issue jam

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gun was made last year, hasn't been used much I've only put about 30 balls through it.

Has suddenly started having a problem, pull the hammer back about a quarter of an inch and the cylinder will NOT start to rotate.

The lift on the hammer is trying to push it up but the cylinder bolt catch is still holding it in place cuz it's not dropping down yet,

When pulling the hammer back if the cylinder is wiggled a little bit with my other hand it will rotate.

wondering if somebody here has dealt with this before and knows how to remedy it.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about or what's going on or what a handgun is please don't post on here

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_181855_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240103_181855_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I do know what you are talking about and half had some tussles with it as well.

The plow-handles on the Bolt are indexed to a pin on the hammer. As the hammer moves the bolt should drop. The hand is a bit delayed to allow that movement on the bolt first.

After that it can be the plow-handle that indexes to the pin has an issue, the pin is put in wrong (there is a slope on it that allows the bolt to drop again.

Its a nasty problem as you can't see what is going on. I fixed one with a modified bolt and then got the right bolt and it did not work at all but my modified one works at least half decent.

The best thing to do would be to take it apart and look at the cam on the hammer. Sounds like it may be half eaten away from the bolt arm sliding off the side of the cam ( instead of falling off the front). That condition may "try" to unlock the bolt which is why you can wiggle the cyl and get it to unlock. Won't know till ya look.

Mike

I was thinking of something simple such as a burr on the bolt or even fouling that has caused it to stick. I had a similar problem on one of my first Italian Colt clones. Being very new to even disassembling a Colt for cleaning I polished the edges and mating surfaces on each part including the frame using mostly 400 wet/dry paper. When I put it all back together the problem had magically disappeared. I now do that to every new gun I acquire and I’ve had no like issues since. Good luck!

The best thing to do would be to take it apart and look at the cam on the hammer. Sounds like it may be half eaten away from the bolt arm sliding off the side of the cam ( instead of falling off the front). That condition may "try" to unlock the bolt which is why you can wiggle the cyl and get it to unlock. Won't know till ya look.

Mike
That would be my first thought as well but in a new gun seems odd. It could also be a hand nose/ratchet fit issue I have run into before when fitting a new cylinder.
Generally this will only show up on one or two ratchet teeth and will need filing to remedy. I don't recommend ratchet tooth filing without some instruction as one can ruin a new cylinder in jig time with a sharp Barret file.

Last edited:
You may benefit from sending your revolver to someone who specializes in these. There are a few on this forum.

Just noticed that's a 5 shot pocket gun ( small frame). First of all, it's a 5 shot (😆 they're notorious for function problems!). Second, the wear "cut" on top of the hand is part of the problem. The hand needs to be smooth on top and slants slightly low to high ( inside to outside just like yours is). Just sand ( 320 paper on a flat surface) the top of the hand smooth again and it'll probably solve your problem.

Mike

A little work with the files seem to have solved the problem.
Now something else is happening when it's fired

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_161722.jpg
    IMG_20240108_161722.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

So what did you work on with the files? These posts should be learning experiences not some clandestine " I fixed it, lets move on" kind of thing . . .

Mike

So, no response to your "fix" but you still post?

Ask for help, help ( hopefully) given. Fix accomplished ( maybe) with no explanation of . . . after being asked . . . You must be pretty young . . .
From all that responded, you're welcome!!

Mike

So, no response to your "fix" but you still post?

Ask for help, help ( hopefully) given. Fix accomplished ( maybe) with no explanation of . . . after being asked . . . You must be pretty young . . .
From all that responded, you're welcome!!

Mike
Yep Mike I would have like to know too. I just started reading and then what? The latch pin picture. It's kind a like in the 60's when AT THE END OF YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW,they would say"STAY TUNED FOR NEXT WEEKS EPISODE TO FIND OUT IF BILLY JOE DIES".:dunno:😛

Latest posts

Back