• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt pattern Powder Flask storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano2467

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Colt pattern powder flask that I bought a couple of years ago. I only used it a couple of times and then put it in my black powder ammo can where it has stayed unused for guessing a couple of years. I recently got it out to prepare for some shooting but when I tried to pour some powder out only a small amount dropped out, flask felt pretty full but I had to vigoursly shake/tap it to get even a small amount to drop. I pulled the top off and dumped the powder out and it was all clumpy, like it had absorbed some water. So are you not supposed to leave powder in it for long term? I had the flask stored in the same can as my powder horns for my rifle and the original containers of powder are still dry. Also is the powder that I removed from the flask still good? can it be dried? or should I dump it?

Roger that! Guess I will have to do that as well, that is after I see if the that flask is salvageable. What confuses me is that the powder in my horn and the other containers was unaffected while being stored in the same ammo box and location.

You may have gotten some moisture in it, use a long wooden prick to clean out the flask. Pour it on a plate and leave out for a day or two in your house, then use as normal.
You may have got some condensation in it from temp changes.

I have stored flasks the same way without a problem, but you may in a climate with more moisture. Now having said that, I can see where a can or powder horn might be better at keeping out moisture compared to a flask. The flask doesn't have a tight seal, but only the metal cover that doesn't make a moisture proof seal.

I too would just dry out the powder and use it. If there were a few clumps I would just smash them up with a wooden spoon and use that powder for plinking and informal stuff.

I live in the central valley of Kalifornia and we have a yearly temp swing from low 30's in winter to 110ish in summer. Figured being in the garage in a sealed box that it wouldn't be too affected. But as Stumpkiller suggested I think from now on it will stay in the house proper. thanks for the help.

FWIW, I store my powder flasks (4) & horns (2) in the same steel USGI ammo can that I store my Holy Black - which has a rubber sealing gasket under the lid that keeps moisture out when latched down tight.

Thats exactly what mine was stored in, although the can I use is a lot bigger than the average 30cal/ 50cal box (it was a shipping container for an ejection seat rocket motor) it still has good seal. Was just odd that the flask was the only one to have the issue, guess I will just have to toss in a silica bag for excess moisture.

My guess is the last time you used the flask, which would have separated it from the container powder,is when you picked up the moisture.
I've had some clumping in my flasks as well from time to time but usually not.

Back