• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning the TVM flintlock with the bolt on flint flush kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the contraption on the trade blanket.
Plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the barrel with water and allow to soak, dump the dirty water, rinse, scrub with damp patches, dry and oil. A drop or 2 of dish soap if the barrel is extra dirty.

Hmm, I use mine every time I clean, works good for me, been using it for years. I made a saw horse modified to hold the gun upside down, takes me all of 20 minutes to clean the gun and hang it back up. How often you guys shoot? Just curious. flinch

I switched to Dutch's nearly waterless cleaning system. Fast, sparkling bore, no rust ever.

Takes me about a half our or so ... but I take my time to do it, and take great care to inspect every crook and corner... I also apply a coat of antique furniture wax to the stock, especially where barrel and stock join ... After thoroughly cleaning barrel and lock, I buff the gun stock, and any excess of wax is worked between stock and barrel (if possible). Stock and the gun are fully protected like that. The underside of barrel and inside stock are also covered with the wax...

Well, I read all of the responses to your video and saw that some of the folks just didn't like the flush kit. I, too, had one and it didn't fit any of my flintlock rifles. I gave it away. However, it is obvious that you have had good results with your flush kit. I say, don't listen to the naysayers, if it works, use it. Also, using Ballistol is not a bad idea. That stuff works and works well. I use it for several things from a cleaner to a patch lube. Kudos on the meticulous care of your rifle. I like to see a man take good care of his toys. :thumbsup:

Oh, and something for your consideration, I have found that spray carburetor cleaner or spray brake cleaner will clean a lock lickity split and will almost instantly evaporate to dryness. Then just a touch of oil and you are done with cleaning your lock. Those spray cleaners are cheap so give it a try, you may become a convert. :wink:

Back