• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Jag Type?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In your experiences, which is the preferred cleaning jag?

tc9085.gif

OR

106-1154.jpg

Thanks for the input!

If your rod is close to bore diameter I prefer the 2nd type with a bit of relief in diameter behind the grooved part. Had some jamming issues once and prefer that type over the 1st one when the ramrod is close to bore size.

The second one hands down.

If a cleaning jag gets stuck where you cannot remove it from the ramrod, you can use a pair of pliers to grip the shank to remove it.

With the first one you will bugger it up with pliers when it is stuck to the ramrod.

Steel threads are a must. That said I like the second one because I cut my own cleaning patches from T-shirts and the size varies. The long rebated stem on the second jag help prevent me sticking an oversized patch in the bore. It also adds length if used on the guns ramrod which makes it easier to grab.

The last button jag I had I got stuck in the barrel and had to shoot out. never did find it back

colorado clyde said:
The long rebated stem on the second jag help prevent me sticking an oversized patch in the bore. It also adds length if used on the guns ramrod which makes it easier to grab.
Good point, the long one does make it easier to use a random sized cleaning patch.
I use the button type because I'm a swabber and use a specific size smaller patch to do the swab.

Its steel threads for my recommendation.

Be sure to have a good fit to the bore. You want the jag and patch to go down easily. When the jag is at the breech plug, you want the patch to bunch up around the jag and drag the powder out. A tight jag and patch will push fouling into the breech area and ultimately plug up the touch hole/flash channel.

I think the OP said in another post he was getting a 54cal T/C hawken. likley a 3/8 rod. For me that's borderline for a button jag so I would go with the latter.

I don't own a 54 cal so maybe someone that does will chime in.

Having once had the fun of removing a jag which was left in my guns barrel after the threads snapped off I have "fixed" all of my remaining jags by installing steel threads.

The problem with the brass threads is brass is pretty weak and if it is subjected to high stresses, it will work harden making it brittle. Weak + brittle = broken threads.

To fix the problem I filed off almost all of the existing brass threads and then center punched a dimple in the center of the remaining thread.

Using the correct size tap drill I then drilled a hole 3/8 to 1/2" deep.
I threaded this hole with the correct tap. (I have both #8-32 and #10-32 range rods. Don't ask me why)

Once threaded, I installed a common steel 5/8 inch long set screw into the jag with about 5/16" sticking out of the face. I used Loc-Tite thread locking compound to secure the set screw in place.

As for which style cleaning jag? I haven't seen a difference between them and I have both styles.

I make my own, second style, with steel threads loc-tited into the jag (I use a fairly long thread so that if it does work loose it has to unscrew a long way out of the rod).

As Mr. Eames pointed out, this style gives you somewhere to grip with pliers - all mine have such teeth marks in them!

I won't argue, steel is stronger. But, in the nearly five decades I have been at this insanity I have never broken the brass threads off of a jag. IMHO, brass works just fine, not a major issue.

colorado clyde said:
I think the OP said in another post he was getting a 54cal T/C hawken. likley a 3/8 rod. For me that's borderline for a button jag so I would go with the latter.

I don't own a 54 cal so maybe someone that does will chime in.

Then the answer is "neither". T/C used a stepped breech chamber and the jag needs a smaller nose and a bore sized shoulder.

TC9084.JPG

:thumbsup: I just learned something new...about the jag that is. Investarms also has a deep patent breech that keeps a standard jag from reaching the bottom by about an inch.

Back