• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning/clearing the flash channel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one just like that Smoke eater but mine is full of Bow stuff. :redface: Larry

Wally world had the Plano two section boxes on sale last week for 15 bucks. I think after I got it loaded I should have bought a bigger box. :doh:

Joe

I guess I must still be living behind the times.
Back in 70's a book I had and an old man that probably was around when the originals were new. Said at the range or hunting a small squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol (Just be sure no left over embers) keep an old cap or piece of leather on the nipple hammer down. Squirt a tsp or so down the bore. Tilt the rifle sideways a bit and roll it around so the alcohol coats the entire breech area. Tip up side down let excess drip out muzzle. A couple dry patches, gently pushed to bottom and twisted to absorb and clean. Use good non lint cotton ones.
Now cock, remove leather or cap, blow through the nipple. If clear (it should be) load and shoot, If not a pipe cleaner or very small soft wire that will flex and follow the channel, worse case remove drum clean out screw.
Remember we are in the field.
As to carry everything.
I still use an old fashioned possibles bag. Every thing I need is in it, wrench, patches, lubes, alcohol. Hell even my beer and sandwiches!
Have fun shooting And hopefully a Merry Christmas!

Wattsy said:
Rifleman1776 said:
cynthialee said:
yep, infact I have been looking for a good tacklebox just to put all my BP stuff in it

After you have been at this for a few years there won't be a tackle box big enough to hold all yer stuff. :doh:
Wal-Mart is the place to start for that beginners tackle box. :wink:

No joke... You need a good plastic tool box measuring 15" high by 20" wide and 10" deep with room for can of powder to stand up in. MINIMUM! :wink:

I built one that big twenty years ago, to hold powder, balls, targets, cleaning gear, tools, and handguns. It was great.

Now that I'm older, I need to build a trailer with a ramp to carry it to the range, since I can't lift it out of the back of the station wagon. :(

I'm currently using multiple plastic tool boxes.

thanks for that revelation. for a bit there, i thought i was the only one! going to a club shoot can be humorous. need something? "hey, go ask that guy. He's got it in that box". need a ball peen hammer? nipple wrench? screwdriver, ball puller, patch worm, .... yeah, i'm that guy.

craftsman makes a nice one has 4 levels and some nice little compartments for small stuff :thumbsup:

One thing I ALWAYS have with me at the range or hunting is one of those CO2 cartridge blowers. Their powerful enough that they can push out a fully loaded charge (damp powder)or somehow got a ramrod stuck. It'll shoot a .50 call round ball abt ten yards and wooden ramrod a good 20 yards if you just push the jag down with patches. (Yes - I did feel the need to test that.... in the Zombie Apocalypse Friday, my final protective fire could be using my percussion rifle as a CO2 powered pila chucker.)

Latest posts

Back