• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So I got my .58 out last weekend to do some patterning. My brother just had a .54 custom finished and he joined me in sighting in his as well. I didn’t end up getting a ton of shooting done as he was having some touch hole issues and he’s not accustomed to shooting flintlocks.

I clean the gun up good on Sunday, but spilled some water down the barrel. It ended up running down the ramrod channel and into the entry pipe. I’m sure the wood soaked up quite a bit of water as the ramrod no longer will go into the entry pipe completely.

A few questions:

1. How long should it take to dry out?
2. I originally placed wax all over the entry pipe hole to help seal. Is there another method to seal this internal area?
3. Will tape it off next time I clean. Any other suggestions?

I do the pour thing sometimes too. I put a towel in my hand and grip around the muzzle area while pouring cause it always spills.
I have a funnel I used in the past. However, it seems to have disappeared. My 7 yr old has been spending some time in the garage lately and a few of my tools have gone missing as well. I’m sure there’s a correlation

I would be leery about drying the stock with the barrel out, one of mine had the forearm dogleg when it was shipped from the P place without the barrel in the inlet.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if your ramrod will go in you are OK, I would leave it out for a few days though so things can dry out.

I clean the gun up good on Sunday, but spilled some water down the barrel. It ended up running down the ramrod channel and into the entry pipe. I’m sure the wood soaked up quite a bit of water as the ramrod no longer will go into the entry pipe completely.

A few questions:

1. How long should it take to dry out?
2. I originally placed wax all over the entry pipe hole to help seal. Is there another method to seal this internal area?
3. Will tape it off next time I clean. Any other suggestions?
I am with Eric, don't take the barrel out. Just remove the ramrod, store in a dry warm area of the house and add a fan to keep the air moving. Talk to your son and get the funnel back where it belongs, or no TV & phone for him. 😂
Larry

I have this large syringe I use for pouring water down the bore. A bit over just 1 syringe of water will mostly fill my .32. No spills using it and no dripping. I have no idea where the syringe came from; it just showed up and never left.

after everything is good and dry you might want to remove the barrel to oil [ or wax] it down[ rust] and put a coat of wax or sealer in the barrel channel. then reinstall barrel right away.

Here’s what I use.. 12 ozs < than a buck at your local Chinamart..

D57EB720-0886-417E-919E-9BDCFB9DE653.jpeg

+ tax of course…👍

Latest posts

Back