• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean out screw in breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Came across a used custom Hawken today, no markings but obviously well made. Had what looked like a small set screw or Allen headed clean out screw in the flat opposite the lock. That is, not in the bolster. Anyone seen one like this before? Sure wouldn't want that to come loose and smack me in the cheek. Probably OK but just looked odd. Gun was, otherwise, pretty nice.

Common practice with a 19th Century Patent Breech designs.

Personally I would prefer a decorative slotted screw or plain plug as seen on originals.

If done correctly they are very safe.

Might have been slotted. Was hard to see as I only had my readers and not the glasses I use for close up work. I have just never seen one on the off-side instead of the bolster.

Check out the "modified Nock's patent breech" - lower left in the pic.

Note the rear chamber that extends to the far side of the plug in particular - while not obvious on the diagram, that is where the clean out screw would be placed on that design (on some earlier English locks there would be a plug there that would blow out if pressure at the breech got excessive).

DRUM2_zps13d5ae0f.jpg

Here's a pic of what the plug would have looked like - it's not on the opposite side, but would have appeared the same. (this is on a 16 bore Purdy).

Purdey16bore_zpsac9e82b2.jpg

Yes, that's what I figured. Would rather a screw than a blow out plug. This is a right handed gun. Not sure if the tip of my generous nose be in the path of least resistence.

The term "clean out screw" is a misnomer. The hole that is drilled into the bolster from the back side is actually simply a means for drilling the flash channel. Even when it is drilled from the bolster side, it is not a true clean out screw. So many people use it as such that it has, over the years, acquired the appellation "clean out screw". it is okay to use it as such but it is not necessary to remove it to properly clean the flash channel.

So, as to your question of whether or not is safe, as long as the hole was properly drilled, tapped and a correctly fitted screw is used, it is perfectly safe. If the screw is not HC, I would replace it with a slotted head screw but other than that, I would never remove the screw. It is not necessary to remove it to properly clean your rifle. It doesn't hurt to remove it, and many do, but it is not necessary.

A couple of years ago I had that little screw blow out of the left side of a .32 Traditions Crockett. When it went it took a pretty good chunk of stock with it. Luckily I shoot left handed so I didn't get hurt. I had never taken the screw out of the gun (I never checked it for tightness either). The threads looked OK -I never found the screw. The cause? Traditions Co. claimed I overloaded it with 30gr of 3F Pyrodex. I think I may have failed to seat the ball??

The screw you describe in the side of the barrel opposite the lock is most likely there to plug the hole that was drilled to connect the nipple with the breech.

It may or may not be a part of some sort of patent breech but is most likely a part of a chambered breech.
Chambered breeches have a large, smaller than bore size hole drilled into the breech plug, in line with the center of the bore.

In flintlocks, another reason for drilling a hole in the barrel opposite the lock is to gain access to the touch hole.

Flintlocks without a vent liner often have the intersection of the vent hole with the bore "coned".
The cone not only shortens the length of the vent hole but it helps guide the powder in the main charge into the vent hole area.

A simple way to do this is to drill the a hole thru the far barrel wall, in line with the vent hole. A countersink shaped drill bit then can be run thru the hole to create the cone in the vent holes inner area.
After forming the cone, the access hole is then threaded and plugged.

I had the same thing happen to me with a Pedersoli .32 caplock. I was shooting targets at a range in Pasadenna, Texas. I had been shooting for a while when the last shot sounded unusually loud and had a different sound from all of the previous shots. The "clean out screw" on the bolster had blown out. Fortunately, no one was shooting to my right where the screw had to have gone when it blew out. I don't remember what the powder charge was but I had, in the past, shot up to 30 grains of 3f Goex with a patched round ball with no problems. The threads had been stripped out so I had to re-drill the hole and tap it for a larger screw. Once it was repaired, it did not blow any more screws.

Thanks to all! :hatsoff: As I said, I had never come across or noticed this feature. Most of my guns (well, all of my guns :haha: ) are factory-built, so such touches are rarely, if ever, encountered. Did I buy it? Well, I am thinking about it. A little more than I was looking to pay and, to be honest, was looking for something of the smokeless persuasion when I encountered it.

I like the allen headed clean out screws as they are easy to remove. When you take one out make sure you coat the threads with breech plug grease. I take them out everytime I clean the rifle. If you don't it won't take long and they won't come out. Never had a problem with one as I keep an eye on them and don't let them get loose and back out.

Just to add a point I always use the PB Blaster to oil mu barrel after cleaning. It's worked very well as the screws come right out with no problems. I do put grease on the screw when putting it back. A quick blast of carb or break cleaner and it is good to go.

Geo. T.

Back