• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chrono and flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure as well that no definitive answer will be coming soon. Lower SDs don't HURT accuracy; they just don't GUARANTEE it. I just don't know how true this is with muzzleloaders. Nevertheless, I always strive for those lower SDs in any gun I shoot. But I'm OCD.

I've chronographed about everything that moves over the years. My machine has been my constant companion in the reloading and shooting of some three dozen rifle & handgun cartridges. I've done a fair amount of of ML chonographing but it's been a while, now. I need to get off my lazy hip pockets and get with it again.

I load and shoot my MLs for reasonable accuracy and fun and honestly don't worry much about velocity just as long as it's enough. In other words, if these tiny group shooting/experimenting/fastidious/ etc, ML shooters wore black tie and cummerbund and drank imported reserved wine, then I'd be wearing my baseball cap backwards and drinking PBR beer. That's about as sophisticated as this truth-seeker gets. And YES I've counted the exact number of angels that can dance (boogy down) on the head of a pin but I just can't remember how many that was. :rotf:

I have shot loads of centerfire loads over a chrono but havent tried it with my M/L, yet.

I do recall in the Lyman book they speak of moving the Chrono further away from the muzzle for black powder, they may print the formula they used for calculating the true muzzle velocity if its important to you, I know I have seeen it written elsewhere, so determining Muzzle Velocity can be established.

IMHO as long as you always place the chrono at the same distance it doesnt matter where it is, UNLESS you are trying to determine trajectory, then you MUST have a muzzle velocity.

I always strived for a low Extreme Spread in my smokeless loads, like said above it isnt NECCESSARY for accuracy but I believe it helps.

According to the data you provided it appears to me that 80 grain is the most efficient, with an extreme spread of 9 fps, followed by 65 grains with an ES of 11 fps, 75 grs. w/ an ES of 35 fps, then 70 grs. w/ an ES of 56 fps. So, I would shoot both loads for group...hopefully one of them will shoot to your liking. If not, back to the drawing board!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Eterry

Don't know that near range demonstrates the significance of low velocity spreads as relates to accuracy, but it does say something about the consistency of your loading technique, be it muzzle loaders or cartridge guns. I have seen low single digit ES/SD numbers that were less accurate than spreads in the upper teens at 100 yards more than a few times, but when you reach out past 300 yards you're looking at a different result. None of that should be relevant at typical round ball shooting distances.

Always shoot for group when using a Chrony!

80 grains under a T/C Hawken ain't tough. Used 90 under a Maxiball for quite number of years w/o pain.

Yeah, but by the time they fired the shot over the screens, they will have forgotten what for. :rotf:

Back