• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chips in the face

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCB

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been getting a lot of chips in my face while shooting. I’ve been shooting flint for over 25 years and have never noticed it being this bad before. Does anyone know what causes this and if there is a fix. The only thing I’ve really been doing different is not using 4f to prime. I either use 3f or 2f depending on what’s in the horn and what gun I’m shooting. I wear prescription glasses and there getting pretty beat up. In the meantime I’ve bought some safety shooting glasses to go over my regular glasses to protect them from getting chipped.

You're slamming a rock into a piece of hardened steel that sits atop 5 grains of gun powder that creates a fireball when you pull the trigger.

You're going to get hit in the face with something.

I've often wondered how many soldiers were permanently blinded by flintlock debris.

Last edited:
Have you tried reducing the powder in the pan? It doesn’t take very much to ignite a charge, a few grains actually will do the job.
When I was out squirrel hunting last year, I had to reload quickly, when I done that I noticed in my hurry I put way too much pan primer in, I was in such a hurry to reload i didn’t care. When I touched that off.. man I got pelted in the face with quite a bit of debris, that was the last time I ever filled the pan up that much.
I havnt had that problem since..

Have you tried reducing the powder in the pan? It doesn’t take very much to ignite a charge, a few grains actually will do the job.
When I was out squirrel hunting last year, I had to reload quickly, when I done that I noticed in my hurry I put way too much pan primer in, I was in such a hurry to reload i didn’t care. When I touched that off.. man I got pelted in the face with quite a bit of debris, that was the last time I ever filled the pan up that much.
I havnt had that problem since..
S. Kenton I believe you and Grenadier are leading me in the right direction. For about five years or so I was mainly just shooting one rifle, and thought it was just that gun. At the time I thought it was flint chips pelting me. Since then I’ve picked up a few more guns and have had the same problem with most of them. I recently realized the problem never really started until I started priming from the horn. Your probably right about overloading the pan. I’ll be more careful not to overload it in the future, and see if it helps. I’ve been shooting flint since the mid 90’s and cannot recall having this problem before. At least not to the level it is now.

S. Kenton I believe you and Grenadier are leading me in the right direction. For about five years or so I was mainly just shooting one rifle, and thought it was just that gun. At the time I thought it was flint chips pelting me. Since then I’ve picked up a few more guns and have had the same problem with most of them. I recently realized the problem never really started until I started priming from the horn. Your probably right about overloading the pan. I’ll be more careful not to overload it in the future, and see if it helps. I’ve been shooting flint since the mid 90’s and cannot recall having this problem before. At least not to the level it is now.
Yes give it a shot and report back, good luck and good shooting!

I consider my shooting glasses to be disposable. They get gouges in the lens from flying rock chips.

Back