• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Visit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, I called and spoke with Barbie today, and barring crisis at work in the morning, I have taken tomorrow off and will be heading up to their shop to pick up my kit. I must be lucky, because they have what I'm looking for in stock, and, since he will be there, I will hopefully get to meet Jim too. :master: :master: :master:

I feel like an 8 year old kid getting ready to go to bed on Christmas Eve! :shake:

Lord help me.

I feel like an 8 year old kid getting ready to go to bed on Christmas Eve! :shake:
more like a 40 year old going to pick up a Chambers kit :thumbsup: Have fun Tomorrow :front:
Lehigh..

i saw on the seminar page fer dixon's gun fair here in PA that she will be there..............bob

7/31/2005
Basics in Building The Longrifle Kit Gun.
at the The Barn
"Blackpowder Barbie" Chambers
2:30 PM

During the first Saturday of Friendship, I was standing in front of the Chambers' booth drooling over the longrifles, while people were asking questions and having conversations with the Chambers crew. Everyone in that booth was kind and courteous to all that came by. :thumbsup:
I did not get to hear Barbie's seminar at Friendship, but I sure plan on hearing it at Dixon's. :thumbsup:

You will find ALL of the Chambers family that way. I have dealt with them for years & they are always very nice & curtious & friendly. :thumbsup:

On the first Sat. of Friendship I went to the Chambers booth early that morning, talked to Jim a few minutes & showed him a GA lock I had bought & I had a concern on how a spring sat in the shoe of a tumbler. Jim smiled & said he could see there it is a lil close & said "Rather than get into working on locks this morning, how about I just give you another lock", as he pulled out 3-4 & said "Pick out one ya like..... is that OK ?" I said sure, picked one & that was it. What a great guy to deal with.

And you get a Lifetime Warranty on all parts on a Chambers built lock.......... :thumbsup:

Well, the crisis at work screwed me, and I can't make it up today. My dreams are shattered. :cry:

Hopefully I'll be able to get this thing behind me today, and go up tomorrow.

Well, my daughter and I made it out there today! Got to meet Jim and Barbie, wonderful folks. The guns were truly overwhelming. Held the Lancaster shown on the web site, as well as the pistol, and the Mark Silver rifle the kit is based on. Truly wonderful works of art! Love the location too... man, I could live up there no problem! Beautiful country up there! Made me wish I had packed my fly rod.

Picked out the stock for the Early Lancaster. Ended up choosing one of their standard grades, as I thought it looked better than one that was marked up for better wood, and Barbie agreed with me. A very beautiful piece of maple with full curl from one end to the other. Got one with a wooden patchbox. .54 Getz swamped barrel, a thing of sheer beauty, mill marks and all. Stood there and watched Jim mill the dovetails for me, and he even asked me where I wanted the rear sight placed.

So, now I'm the proud papa of a new Chambers Early Lancaster kit. Barbie was great, and showed me everything, explained everything, and they even gave me an extra ramrod and scrounged up a piece of scrap practice maple to boot. I wanted to stay and pester them and ask lots of questions and take pictures and stuff, but I was in a time crunch and had to head back.

I will post pics of the new kit soon, and will hopefully start on the build soon as well. Let me thank everyone in advance for the help... cause I'm sure I'm gonna need lots of it! :master:

John

Sounds like you made out well and had a good time to boot,nice dealing with good people that care about their customers :front:

Hey Dude! You did it!
Enjoyed your account of the drive up, the anticipation, getting to pick out your own wood. I missed all that - I kinda just saw a picture of the stock blank and had to have faith in everything else. Then I had to wait a couple months for the stock to get carved. I did get to drive to the local UPS hub to pick it up and I will get to cut my own dovetails. Can't wait to see the pics.
Finnwolf

Good luck with the Lancaster! I really envy you the visit. I'm about six weeks into my Chambers York now (50 cal Rice barrel), working on it a couple of evenings a week when I can. After what seems like hundreds of hours of scraping and fitting I've finally inletted the barrel and tang, drilled the bolt hole yesterday, put in a temporary wood screw and filed down the tang and wood surround till it was smooth. Suddenly it feels like it's taking shape and I spent about two hours just holding it and admiring it.

My stock too was standard grade but Barbie recommended it and she was right - it has beautiful curl, just enough for me and is great to work (with really sharp tools).

Suddenly it feels like it's taking shape and I spent about two hours just holding it and admiring it.

did the curl really show up when wet from all the drool by the sound of the excitment in yer post :thumbsup: .............bob

strider
your gonna really lovf thet york when your done ,mine is the best balanced rifle i ever built .(i only built two but who,s counting)i,m guessing you got a swamped barrel form
L.C ?

Well, if any of you guys ever find yourselves in Western North Carolina just give us a buzz. There is usually always someone in the shop who'd be more than willing to give you the tour and open up the 'Candy Store' (the vault with all the finished pieces inside). And, despite my very best intentions of getting the boat out and going fishing this summer it seems we're always here instead. Guess I'll just have to pull the boat out the next time it rains so it can at least get wet for a little bit! ::

I have to post my 2 cents here--I ordered a kit from Chambers and later requested a wood upgrade. Barbie (and Jim!) worked with me and I got a beautiful piece of wood out of the deal. But the part that caught my eye was the lock--this thing is a work of art!!--not a sharp edge anywhere--I can't believe that a "production" piece is so well finished, right outta the box!!
And L.C. Rice is good as gold--I have two barrels from him that should be in a museum--he turns out some great barrels--no machine marks anywhere!
Now all I have to do is find the time to devote to making everything work!

Thanks, Barbie, Jim and L.C.
Martin

Hello Barbie.
Thanks for the help getting on this site.

My computer hates me..............but it's ok because I hate it too.
:)

They are awesome. I was totally amazed at the quality of the lock too... even my wife looked at it and said, "Wow! That is incredible!" After years of only shooting factory produced locks, when I pulled the cock back on the Chambers lock, I could definitely tell I was holding a "Cadillac" where I had been used to holding a "'74 Gremlin".

I got a Getz barrel instead of a Rice... and I am going to have to draw file the mill marks out of it, but other than that it's the most beautiful barrel I've ever seen, and definitely high quality.

Oh, and let me say this: even if you're in the area and you aren't buying a kit, see if you can make it by and see the "Candy Store" regardless. I had to be extra careful to keep the drool off the carpet in there. The collection is absolutely stunning. :applause:

Back