• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers smooth rifle with 20g barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckskin, that does not look anything like my York, as the lack of nosecap, fowler trigger guard, stock profile and roundface lock screams fowler to me. Unless that picture is not a pic of your York.

BTW, the York is one of the best Chambers sets. It is so light and quick handling for a swamped barreled rifle. Mine is a 50 cal and I absolutely love shooting it. Wish it had double set triggers like my Lancaster, but it is nice shootin' rifle.
Oh for heaven's sakes, brain fart... Yes, that is the English Fowler that I have in 20 ga and I have a York in 40 cal...

Do you read and speak Canadian?
Grenville county is written in Canadian.
Once you suffered through Grenville County you can spot Alexander’s edits in RTAL.

It’s good info. I’m just telling you that a lot of things are over explained. Sometimes less is more.
It can be confusing and for me it took several reads to finally “ get” what was being said.

For a new builder, a lot of simple things were over explained. Some info I was really looking for was barely touched on if mentioned at all.
I have learned that a lot of that info or knowledge can only be acquired by doing it and solving the problem or learning the solution on your own.
Let’s take forming a lock panel. It’s nearly impossible to fully explain how to form it. Hands on it could be demonstrated in print not so much.
All I can say about lock panels is you have to know what they look like and how they are shaped. ( hands on inspection to really see it) Get the outline work and shape to it.....it just appears.

Books are great but sometimes you will not get it until you do it.

Edit....
Let’s take triggers....
You don’t have to get into high math and secrets of the universe to pin a trigger. Going by the books you’ll have lines and angles drawn every where. Maybe even a map with yarn and thumbtacks set up over your bench.....

Set the pivot 1/4 inch or slightly more in front of the sear. You can set the pivot higher if you pin or at least equal, higher or it close to it if using a lugged trigger plate.....Ding! Done!

I’ll probably be banished by the grand poo ba of the mystical order of the longrifle but another thing you’ll hear a lot is this Golden Mean stuff.
OK 3/5 from where and to where?

What looks good is good. You don’t have to get all Yoda to build a rifle and especially a parts set.

Now if I wanted to turn lead into gold I might get into to all that stuff, but hey.....
I’m just building a gun.
I speak a bastardized Alaskan-canadian dialect, I will try to parse it out.

String and thumtacks? Naw, I have lasers😎

Kidding aside, I read the thread on triggers, the drawings explained alot.
Going to take it slow, I have till April when my target stand thaws 🧊

Attachments

• 20231026_160650.jpg
    20231026_160650.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 0
Do you read and speak Canadian?
Grenville county is written in Canadian.
Once you suffered through Grenville County you can spot Alexander’s edits in RTAL.

It’s good info. I’m just telling you that a lot of things are over explained. Sometimes less is more.
It can be confusing and for me it took several reads to finally “ get” what was being said.

For a new builder, a lot of simple things were over explained. Some info I was really looking for was barely touched on if mentioned at all.
I have learned that a lot of that info or knowledge can only be acquired by doing it and solving the problem or learning the solution on your own.
Let’s take forming a lock panel. It’s nearly impossible to fully explain how to form it. Hands on it could be demonstrated in print not so much.
All I can say about lock panels is you have to know what they look like and how they are shaped. ( hands on inspection to really see it) Get the outline work and shape to it.....it just appears.

Books are great but sometimes you will not get it until you do it.

Edit....
Let’s take triggers....
You don’t have to get into high math and secrets of the universe to pin a trigger. Going by the books you’ll have lines and angles drawn every where. Maybe even a map with yarn and thumbtacks set up over your bench.....

Set the pivot 1/4 inch or slightly more in front of the sear. You can set the pivot higher if you pin or at least equal, higher or it close to it if using a lugged trigger plate.....Ding! Done!

I’ll probably be banished by the grand poo ba of the mystical order of the longrifle but another thing you’ll hear a lot is this Golden Mean stuff.
OK 3/5 from where and to where?

What looks good is good. You don’t have to get all Yoda to build a rifle and especially a parts set.

Now if I wanted to turn lead into gold I might get into to all that stuff, but hey.....
I’m just building a gun.
This is good 👍🏻

Back