• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers smooth rifle with 20g barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t build it, but I have a Chambers .62 caliber smooth rifle with a Getz barrel. Very fine gun. It’s very accurate with .600 round balls using tow wads.

I've seen one that was built with a 54 caliber . . and the lancaster trigger option which I like . . though on a 62 smooth, perhaps the fowler style guard is more appropriate.

Why would a fowler style guard be more appropriate on a "smooth rifle"?
I don’t know if the “Mac” actually knew this....but

The Chambers Smooth Rifle was inspired by the Newcomer Rifle or RCA 119.
Edit.....😡 Newcomer Not Haymaker!!!!!
That rifle was stocked with heavy English fowling gun influence including the fowling gun furniture.

Last edited:
I have one I bought from a club member friend of mine he built about 20 years ago and love it. Its has a beautiful piece of maple. It’s a 20ga/.62 with a 46” barrel. Has a big chambers English lock on it. I love the rifle architecture (cheek rest and patch box) in this Smoothbore. It doesn’t kick me at all. It has a shallow groove filed into the tang for a rear sight and a silver front sight. I have dove and turkey hunted with it. It‘s very lightweight at 6.8lbs, so it’s easy to carry in the field and woods. For turkey in the woods you need to pick good spots to set up your shots up before hand to maximize your options left and right due to the 46” barrel. A carbine this is not. I honestly don’t think I would be any happier with an English fowling style gun. This Chambers smooth rifle checks all the boxes for me!
IMG_3745.jpeg

Last edited:
The smooth rifle is one Chambers set I have not built. I just finished the VA Mark Silver in 58 and will start the PA fowler in 20g. The Chambers sets are top notch and challenging, but very fun to build. And the results, as compressorguy shows, are stunning.

Buckskin, that does not look anything like my York, as the lack of nosecap, fowler trigger guard, stock profile and roundface lock screams fowler to me. Unless that picture is not a pic of your York.

BTW, the York is one of the best Chambers sets. It is so light and quick handling for a swamped barreled rifle. Mine is a 50 cal and I absolutely love shooting it. Wish it had double set triggers like my Lancaster, but it is nice shootin' rifle.

My recommendation with my experience with Chambers (all good), is to call Barbie back and pay the price for the grade you want, or send a check. Either one, it puts you on top of the pile for best wood, fastest service.
My two most recents from them; I was told the locks were behind in production. I travelled there in NC expecting to have the lock mailed later, and Shazaam, they found one for my build. Same thing with second. I mailed a check, expecting a wait for the lock and within a week I had this giant box on my porch.
Money in hand is a big driver for small companies reliant on customer service. And Chambers is exemplary on that front.

I have one I bought from a club member friend of mine he built about 20 years ago and love it. Its has a beautiful piece of maple. It’s a 20ga/.62 with a 46” barrel. Has a big chambers English lock on it. I love the rifle architecture (cheek rest and patch box) in this Smoothbore. It doesn’t kick me at all. It has a shallow groove filed into the tang for a rear sight and a silver front sight. I have dove and turkey hunted with it. It‘s very lightweight at 6.8lbs, so it’s easy to carry in the field and woods. For turkey in the woods you need to pick good spots to set up your shots up before hand to maximize your options left and right due to the 46” barrel. A carbine this is not. I honestly don’t think I would be any happier with an English fowling style gun. This Chambers smooth rifle checks all the boxes for me! View attachment 257529
Ye Gads! That is one looooong barrel!

Latest posts

Back