• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cattleman's Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here have one of these?

RemCattlemansCarbine58.jpg

It seems like a neat concept. The hardest thing to deal with would probably be where to put your off-hand. Note there is no foregrip. I have been told this is because if you hold it under the barrel when firing that the cylinder flash would cook your arm.

A chain fire will more than cook your arm if your off-hand is located in front of the cylinder.

The open top Colt is more noted for blowing cap fragments back at the shooter and the Remington does a better job of protecting the shooters face.

Although the Remington design is better than the Colt, many dislike having the cap fire and the resulting blast of gas from the rear of the cylinder right in front of their face.

It is recommended that the off-hand be placed under the gripping hand to keep it out of the way.

I have one that I bought "used". It didn't look like it had ever been fired and when I went to snap caps I found out why. the mainspring was so weak that it ould only set off about 50% of the caps. I anticipated that because of the feel when cocking the hammer. I'll rework the mainspring one day and try again. I saw a special order original last Saturday. .38 caliber catridge conversion, octagon barrel that was wider than the frame and beveled at the rear to match. Beach front sight, tang rear plus the barrel sight, brass patchbox. I looked all through my wallet but I couldn't come up with $8,000 so I had to leave it behind :)

not sure if the internals are anything close to an 1858 new army, but if it is,there should be a little screw that will adjust the main spring tension.

They aren't, notice there is no pistol grip. The mainspring is screwed to the bottom tang and there is no pressure spring. BTW i've never been able to back the pressure screw out far enough on a 58 Remington to cause a misfire.

In the pistol, the mainspring extends down the grip almost to the bottom.

There isn't enough space in that wrist to accommodate that spring.

I would bet the mainspring in one of these stocked pistols extends back to about where the trigger guard attaches.

One thing I was told is the same between the 1858 and the Cattleman's Carbine is that the cylinders are interchangeable only if they are from the same manufacturer. I figured I should toss this in before other similarities between these two arms are discussed. I was specifically told never to put a Pietta 1858 cylinder in a Uberti Cattleman's Carbine.

never handled one, but thought there might be a screw hidden in there somewhere, oh well, worth a shot. :surrender: you're right about the '58, i've had my screw completely out and it still fired, the only thing that caused a cap not to fire was a flared nipple. first hit click, second hit BANG!

Good guess Zonie, the mainspring is attached to the lower tang by a screw from the outside just in front of the rear attachment of the guard. It arches up to the hammer.

Uberti and Pieta cylinders are not the same length and therefore aren't interchangable. The Uberti carbins shares many parts with the revolver including the cylinder. This is why the arm is NOT an accurate reproduction of the Remington revolving carbine

Doing a cartridge conversion on these isn't an issue as the barrel is 18" long. Another deviation from a Remington, they had a longer barrel. You would only have a problem if the barrel was under 16" and a tax stamp (and $200)would resolve that.

Seems like if you held the barrel with your other hand it could get burnt up pretty bad.

I have one of these in .44 The little hook under the TG is where you push back with your other hand.
It's fun to play with. Not very practical for much else. Hunting would have to be very limited distance due to the powder capacity of the cylinder

Back