• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cast off and drop?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazens ranger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i am wanting to build a rifle for my daughter who is right handed but had retina surgery on her right eye and doesnt have good vision out of it. I was thinking about a right handed gun to sight with the left eye. My question is has anyone built or seen such a gun or or would the cast off and drop make it look hideous and ugly? or would I be better off building a lefty and teaching her to shoot that way? any help would be appreciated Hazens Ranger

Start her shooting left handed while young. I know many who have as adults had to switch shoulders due to eye dominance and they were able to do it with a little effort but thier shooting improved dramaticaly. Someone with little or no shooting under their belt will have it much easier. There are such things as sross over stocks but the easiest thing to do is switch shoulders.

Right on, Capt. Jas.

Also, with this custom tailored rifle, you will restrict Her shooting to this type of modified gun, of which is super rare!

She will be able to explore different guns easily, and we all know about "owning just one", never gonna' happen, Hopefully! :)

She'll be more comfortable in the long run, just learning to shoot left-handed. In a very short while it'll be like she's always done it that way.

I have a cousin that shoots right handed and with his left eye. He wont shoot anything bigger then a 22. Try it turning your head and leaning over the stock puts your nose behind the rifle. He got busted good with a shot gun once. blood went everywhere. I think his nose is still shaped a little funny. I agree just teach her to shoot on the other side.

Thanks for the input fellas I guess we will try it lefty and see what happens . She is showing intrest in deer hunting next year so I better get started soon just finished a fowler for myself. and your right you can never have too many flinters.Thanks again Hazens Ranger

They makestocks with extreme casoff for left-eyed. right shoulder shooters. Much better to teach a youngster to use the other eye and practice will make perfect.!

Teach her with a left hand stock and to shoot left handed.Her using a right handed stock of any design may cause more retina damage! :shake: If she shoots anything and starts seeing sparkling flashs in her right eye and/or Left eye- STOP - and find Medical attention! :shocked2: Play it safe. :winking:

Back