• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cartridge Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know its not the "normal" builders question.. But does anyone have a 2003 Guns and Ammo annual. In it it supposed to be an article talking about the cartridge conversions of 1851-61 Colt revolvers. I'd like to find a copy of the article. Or has anyone done such a job??

I've been offered the task of possibly making a conversion to a revolver. So I'm just trying to research it enough to say either "absolutely not" or "maybe" :hmm:

And Yes, I do know of the Taylor and Krist conversions.. The owner would like to save a few $$$,,and has a few extra parts to spare..

Respect Always

Don't have the article, and doubt that G&A would be very technical anyway. I do have many good books on this subject, such as McDowell's conversion book, which is one of the best to date on Colt conversions.

One thing you might want to consider, altering a percussion revolver to fire self contained metallic cartridges take it out of the "antique" catagory and places it in "firearms" for Federal ATF purposes. To convert one, for a customer, you will need to consult ATF as you will have to have a manufacturer's license and there's a mater of taxes, and other things to consider. An individual can convert one or manufacture a firearm for their own use, but it is not transferable to another individual.

Lot's of legal mubo-jumbo, but just be aware of the laws pertaining to converting guns for 'customers'....they won't likely be the ones brought up on charges.

This is not where this conversation belongs. If you canotact me off line, i may have information you would find helpful.
:m2c:

Cheyenne,

He's not so much a customer..just someone who asked me to take on the task of making the conversion..Since I mess around building and stuff for pleasure, he thought it would make an interesting challenge.. I also shoot C&B revolvers and have thought of doing a conversion on one of my own..

I'd starve , if I did any of this to make money..but then again, some would say I could use a bit of a diet! ::

You do bring up very important info..and things that should deffinately be considered!! I'll give you a hollar..

THANKS

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Hawkeye and Doc,

Thank you both for your replies!!

Hawkeye,
I went to the site and a lot of it, is just what I was looking for. I sent a message to the 'editor' and hope to aquire the whole article, as one unit..

Doc,

If you can get the people at Anvil Enterprise to answer you, your doing better than I. I have sent them two notes, inquiring about their conversion manual.. So far NADA thing!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Metalshaper,

I have a set of those Anvil plans around here somewhere, you are welcome to them if you want. I hadn't tried one of these, but from friends who have, one thing to watch is the angle of the firing pin......if you follow the plans exact, it'll not strike the primer square.

:results:

Cheyenne,

I appreciate the offer! and I'd sure be interested in getting ahold of that conversion manaul.. Let me know what you need from this end,, and we'll see what we can do..

Thanks!!! and for the warning, about other peoples experiences in folowing the exact plan..

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Back